2003 Toyota Avalon 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic w/Bench Seats Consumer Review - 2003 Toyota Avalon XLS

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Review

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS
By Herb F. on

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just picked up my new Avalon. Though I really like the car and it's design/amenities am sorely disappointed in the quality of the workmanship coming from the Kentucky assembly plant. Very poor fit on the body panels, interior plastic squeaks and the paint(pearl white) on the plastic rear bumper is about 8 shades darker than the rest of the car. Also, the wind noise with the moon roof open is almost deafening. Have owned 9 previous Toyotas but this is my first one assembled in the US. Perhaps I am expecting too much but the local service manager tells me that they have four times more problems with the US assembled Toyotas than those of the "J- Series".

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, instrumentation layout, delightfully quiet with the moon roof closed and a pleasure to drive. Audio and climate control systems are great.

Suggested Improvements

Other than the sloppy workmanship, we really miss the fold down rear seats that we had in all of our Camrys. Also, the lighting in the informantion cluster(time, date, temp, mpg etc. is a bit bright during in the daylight - should have it's own rheostatic dimmer.