Used 2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Endless comfort and solidity
By olderage

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 140k my Avalon seems like it will endure for many more years and miles. Unusual maintenance includes a steering bracket assembly and a failed subwoofer. Also, the driver's seat cushion has collapsed and the airbag light comes on intermittently. The car whooshes to speed, is dead quiet, and has expansive room on the inside. The gas mileage is not great (avg. 22 in mixed driving), but this is a large auto and its substantial feel makes me want to keep it forever. The styling is distinct and operating costs are very low. After driving an Avalon, it becomes difficult to settle for lesser cars.

High-quality leather interior, large trunk, and beautiful wheels. Everything feels well built and the materials do not seem like victims of cost savings.

Head protecting side airbags would have been nice, as would standard stability control. The steering wheel and shifter leather seemed to dissolve, but I re-coated with SEM Classic Coat Toyota Ivory and it looks beautiful again. The auto climate control requires a lot of manual input, and the seat heaters are very weak.

Couldn't Be Happier
By seddy83

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car. I only intended on keeping it for a few years but I love it too much not to keep it in my family. I have not experienced any maintenance issues. Since I purchased the vehicle, I've only had to do regular maintenance like oil changes, tires rotated, new wiper blades, etc. The only draw back to the car is that a cassette player came stock even though I have premium JBL speakers. Good thing I could swap it out with one that I can link my iPod to.

I feel comfortable and safe in this car. Drives well with very little maintenance.

Paint quality. Mine is chipping.

Low cost comfort
By Wayne

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car 5 years old and 77000 miles for $10,000, much cheaper than new. It is very comfortable on long trips, a very quiet and smooth ride. Good gas mileage. My wife felt the looks needed some pizazz, so I bought a spoiler online and had a bodyshop paint and install it for her birthday present. It adds a lot of character. A few months later, I bought a 2003 Lexus ES 300 and driving one car is almost like driving the other, although the Lexus has a few more amenities. I am absolutely sold on Toyota quality and dependability, after owning 4 GM cars and one Dodge.

Smooth, quiet and comfortable to drive. Excellent dependability. Good gas mileage(28-32 on highway)

Not a thing! For its age, it is holding up very well.

The Best Car Out There!! Period
By ERazor

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I buy them used and I replaced my 1995 Avalon with a 2003 Avalon. I will replace this one with another. If it ever wears out that is. They are the best cars that I have ever owned.

I really like the NORMAL/PERFORMANCE trans program button and of course 25-32 MPG IS GREAT TOO!!

I would like just a little wider stance.

A Lexus without the price tag.
By jrw225

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Avalon has been the best car I have ever owned. I have had it more than a year now and bought it used but still have had no problems. It is smooth, luxurious, and every day I drive it I find myself surprised by one of the Avalon's many features. Someone put great thought into designing this car from the automatic wipers to the 110 power plug this car is perfect. I get 21 mpg on average but it is worth the extra $2 a week to drive such a fantastic piece of machinery. I'm 26 and thought this car was an 'old man car' but after driving it I will not drive anything else. Thanks Toyota!

automatic wipers, digital dual-zone climate control, 110 power plug, information center, automatic windows/sunroof, traction control, seat memory, sweet JBL stereo

aux plug for IPod