Used 2003 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

2003 Avalon is still noisy
By Mary Payne

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I heard something like wind noise in the front. The salesman, of course, said no, no. He couldn't hear anything. This is a luxury car. The audio system was fabulous. The salesman was talking. I turned off the music. I asked him to be quiet. On surface streets, it was lovely. The fan was blowing when I took it onto the freeway. But after I purchased it and drove it on the freeway all alone and with everything turned off, there is DEFINITELY noise. I still can't pinpoint it or figure out how this can be.

Favorite Features

There are a lot of nice things. It is a BEAUTIFUL automobile.

Suggested Improvements

"Sound absorbing...sound deadener materials ...help minimize noise....Wind noise has been reduced." www.avalon.toyota.com.au (2003). NOW it is obvious that meant Toyota had tried to fix the noise(s). THEY FAILED. Caution: This vehicle could adversely affect your hearing.

Avalon XLS
By Hexman

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have always wanted this car ever since I sat in the back seat of a friend's 1999 Avalon. I was amazed at the room. This model has lived up to the expectations. Besides the interior room, the riding comfort is outstanding. I have owned 2 Saab 9000's, and I'm very pleased with the Avalon's luxury feel. On the downside, while the handling is fine for me, it does not handle like my Saabs or other sports sedans I've driven. I need to slow down a lot more going into turns with the car sliding more than hugging the road. It is fine on the freeway, but my wife feels it tends to drift a little.

Favorite Features

Interior room and seat comfort. I don't have a preference being in front or back. Display is very easy to read, I enjoy the XLS model features of heated and memory seats and memory mirrors. Large trunk area. Rain sensor wipers is a neat feature - not quite perfected yet.

Suggested Improvements

Make the handling more responsive while keeping the ride as comfortable.

I want a Mercedes but cannot afford one.
By Roy Cruise

2003 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle. Rest assured its quality.`

Favorite Features

Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior looks may be? Limited options offered.

Loving my 4 door Avalon XLS Sedan!!
By Jo Ann Kimber

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We just bought our second Toyota Avalon XLS & really like it. It's got a beautiful interior with wood trim on console, & steering wheel has a rich look with both leather & wood. The bucket seats are comfortable (we chose leather) & seat a larger person with ease. It has excellent handling which makes it a fun car to drive. Our 2001 Toyota Avalon didn't get the mileage that Toyota suggested we would, but I think that's because I use my air- conditioner year round, daily. We also know that Toyota has an excellent resale value. Love my new Toyota Avalon!!

Favorite Features

All the wood trim on console & steering wheel. I like the way the visual display is set up on the dash board. You can tell at a glance about all the different features it offers...even how many miles until you run out of gas! Also the sun-roof. It has an excellent sound system too.

Suggested Improvements

Our 2001 model had an extra visor under the regular visor on the passenger side which I used for resturant coupons, letters to be mailed, etc., but the new one doesn't have it & I miss that!!

Avalon Review
By wtlson

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife who is 82 years old . She has been driving a 1992cadillac deville , She refuses to drive the avalon . She says there are too many buttons . So I am driving the avalon .My biggest complaint is the steering wheel . I have to hold my arms extende in front of me ,and it is tiring . I am 84 years old , 6feet 2 inches and eeigh 220 lbs so I have to put the seat all the way back . The car is fun to drive ,and we use it for short errands , I need to get on the highway .

Favorite Features

I like the quiteness and comfort

Suggested Improvements

I believe it would be more comfortable if the steering column was about 2 inches longer .