Used 2003 Toyota Avalon XL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Original Owner for 12+ years/ 300 thousand miles
By Ed DeMaio

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Greatest purchase of a lifetime! This car has survived a family of 4, both my son and my daughter have driven many miles with this vehicle. The rims are aluminum and did not fair well when driven into curbs. My son (20) was able to blow the sub-woofer and destroy the transmission at 180 thousand miles. Only recently has the engine light gone on for the catalytic converter. The car will drive 419 miles on a full tank of gas before the low gas warning light is lit. Today when I drive this car I drive for over 2 hours with the full confidence had when I bought this car brand new during January 2003.

Couldn't Be Happier
By seddy83

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car. I only intended on keeping it for a few years but I love it too much not to keep it in my family. I have not experienced any maintenance issues. Since I purchased the vehicle, I've only had to do regular maintenance like oil changes, tires rotated, new wiper blades, etc. The only draw back to the car is that a cassette player came stock even though I have premium JBL speakers. Good thing I could swap it out with one that I can link my iPod to.

I feel comfortable and safe in this car. Drives well with very little maintenance.

Paint quality. Mine is chipping.

Low cost comfort
By Wayne

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car 5 years old and 77000 miles for $10,000, much cheaper than new. It is very comfortable on long trips, a very quiet and smooth ride. Good gas mileage. My wife felt the looks needed some pizazz, so I bought a spoiler online and had a bodyshop paint and install it for her birthday present. It adds a lot of character. A few months later, I bought a 2003 Lexus ES 300 and driving one car is almost like driving the other, although the Lexus has a few more amenities. I am absolutely sold on Toyota quality and dependability, after owning 4 GM cars and one Dodge.

Smooth, quiet and comfortable to drive. Excellent dependability. Good gas mileage(28-32 on highway)

Not a thing! For its age, it is holding up very well.

Great investment
By thomas hoehn

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Over 100,000 and runs great, over 80,000 on the Michelin tires. Starts up every time. Great ride and lots of room in trunk and interior easy to maintain without nickle and dimeing you to death.

Very generous on storage and room interior with head space.

Battery-no indication when battery needs replacement 4 year life not good.

60,000 miles later
By kmmowe

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

No problems in 5 years/60,000 miles except warranty issue on the horn assembly (horn would go off intermittently). Dealer replaced air bag assembly in steering wheel and that solved the problem. OEM battery lasted 3 years

Interior room and highway ride are unbelievable. As good or better than any Lexus, Mercedes, BMW I have ridden in

OEM tires were terrible - only 27,00 miles out of them. Replacement Michelins were not any better. No brake work after 60,000 miles!