Used 2003 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Reliable road partner.
By r_k

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We are third owner of this car, we knew the second owner who kept this car really well. The only thing we've done so far is change timing belt, water pump and fluid wash. Runs like a dream and currently giving me a mixed mileage of 26 mpg. We love the robust build of the car, road handling. The opening of trunk is big and we've had no issues in carrying large grocery bags and a small wagon which always stays in it. The back seat is roomy and has large space for 4 people to sit. I like the drive of this car and will recommend it to anyone looking for luxury at the same time reliable car.

Favorite Features

Love the dashboard and large font size display of temp, average, Date, Time, compass etc. Cruise control, wooden grain, big seats, leather quality, sun roof, front and back hand rest, power plug in the back side of center console, temperature, three layered (Tape, 6 CD player, A/C controls). High quality design per the year of manufacturing.

Suggested Improvements

This is 11 year old car and have no grudges, the only wish item is the audio jack but in 2003 I guess it wasn't a must in cars. Can't complain.

Best car I have ever owned or driven.
By soundcrafter

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

With 170,000 miles and not a single problem I can say I picked a winner. It drives like a dream on it's Michelin tires. I get 26-30 mpg highway. I love the rounded curved dash and display. I do hate looking at the cassette tape deck (it reminds me that I am getting older and soon will someday be obsolete). I keep wanting to replace it with something new, but other new cars can't match it's ride. I test drove the 2014 Mercedes, new Avalon, Lexus, infinity, BMW... The only car I liked better than the Avalon was the Audi A8 at $65,000. I will keep this car until it literally falls apart.

Favorite Features

Ride, reliability, dash layout, seat comfort, everything.

Suggested Improvements

Make the new Avalon's as good as this one. It is a charming car to drive.

Endless comfort and solidity
By olderage

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At 140k my Avalon seems like it will endure for many more years and miles. Unusual maintenance includes a steering bracket assembly and a failed subwoofer. Also, the driver's seat cushion has collapsed and the airbag light comes on intermittently. The car whooshes to speed, is dead quiet, and has expansive room on the inside. The gas mileage is not great (avg. 22 in mixed driving), but this is a large auto and its substantial feel makes me want to keep it forever. The styling is distinct and operating costs are very low. After driving an Avalon, it becomes difficult to settle for lesser cars.

Favorite Features

High-quality leather interior, large trunk, and beautiful wheels. Everything feels well built and the materials do not seem like victims of cost savings.

Suggested Improvements

Head protecting side airbags would have been nice, as would standard stability control. The steering wheel and shifter leather seemed to dissolve, but I re-coated with SEM Classic Coat Toyota Ivory and it looks beautiful again. The auto climate control requires a lot of manual input, and the seat heaters are very weak.

Couldn't Be Happier
By seddy83

2003 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car. I only intended on keeping it for a few years but I love it too much not to keep it in my family. I have not experienced any maintenance issues. Since I purchased the vehicle, I've only had to do regular maintenance like oil changes, tires rotated, new wiper blades, etc. The only draw back to the car is that a cassette player came stock even though I have premium JBL speakers. Good thing I could swap it out with one that I can link my iPod to.

Favorite Features

I feel comfortable and safe in this car. Drives well with very little maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Paint quality. Mine is chipping.

Low cost comfort
By Wayne

2003 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car 5 years old and 77000 miles for $10,000, much cheaper than new. It is very comfortable on long trips, a very quiet and smooth ride. Good gas mileage. My wife felt the looks needed some pizazz, so I bought a spoiler online and had a bodyshop paint and install it for her birthday present. It adds a lot of character. A few months later, I bought a 2003 Lexus ES 300 and driving one car is almost like driving the other, although the Lexus has a few more amenities. I am absolutely sold on Toyota quality and dependability, after owning 4 GM cars and one Dodge.

Favorite Features

Smooth, quiet and comfortable to drive. Excellent dependability. Good gas mileage(28-32 on highway)

Suggested Improvements

Not a thing! For its age, it is holding up very well.