Best car I've driven, ever!
By murty on
2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
I bought this car a couple of months ago with nearly 150k miles on it, & I love driving it. My mechanic was impressed with its condition; he told me it will go another 100k! I have owned cars with 150k miles, always as a 2nd owner, & I always found them fairly uncomfortable. I've owned a '76 Honda Civic, an '86 Toyota Tercel (which still runs), an '85 GM Oldsmobile, & a '94 Ford Taurus. The feel of the Avalon is not sporty, but it is wonderfully smooth and powerful. Suddenly I want to go for long drives again, like when I first began driving at 16. I've only owned it for a couple of months, but already I am hoping to sell another of my cars to buy a 2nd Avalon (a newer XLS or Ltd).
Favorite Features
The leather seats feel great, & they are so much easier to clean than cloth. The trunk is huge, & the back seats are comfortable for adults to sit on, with ample leg room. The gas mileage is much better than I expected, I get 26-32 mpg.
Suggested Improvements
I don't like mid-dash design, it seems too distant when I reach over to insert the key, work the stereo, or push the odometer switch to see the trip mileage. The steering wheel feels too close to me, in comparison to the dash & pedal reach. I also prefer a hand brake to a foot pedal brake.