Used 2002 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

By R.T.

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first NEW car I have ever owned. I did much research before buying this car. It is everything I expected it to be and more. I was involved in a head on collision while driving this Avalon. I thought I was dead. I honestly believe that this car saved my life. Thank you Toyota for building this car. I know that I will be more than happy in my next Avalon and I know that I will be safe.

SAFETY, Large Moonroof, quiet ride, great stereo, amount of room in front and back and trunk, fuel economy, Great car.

A little more interior "real" wood trim would be nice, foldable side mirrors, adjustable heat settings for front seats, available tinted windows, more horsepower when needed.

A bit more effort and it is a TEN
By pennwren

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wonderful car to drive and transport passengers. Door handle quality is poor with pealing chrome. When rear left window is down about 4 inches I get a noise of flapping. I will buy another one but test drive with windows slightly down in back as the noise of flapping is very irritating. The only other problem I have had is the rear bumper paint is very fragile. It scrapes off with minor friction.

I found it as comfortable as my Cadillac with same amount of back seat leg room for guests.

Chrome door handles can cut you when they peal. Paint on plastic bumpers needs a better base coat to adhere to. Paint comes off with minor road debre.

Avalon - Best Car I've Ever Owned!
By Canyoncat

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The best car I ever owned! Never a problem. Consistently hits 30-32 MPG on the highway and 22 city.

Interior, fuel economy.

None

Love my car!
By JanS

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car. I have severe back problems and this is the only place I can actually be comfortable. The only flaw I found was in the cruise control. It does not maintain it's speed on a decline. I have never been happier with a car than I have been with this.

My favorite feature is the comfort of the seats and the leg room for my passengers. The trunk space is wonderful. I can't think of one item I would change in this car.

My only suggestion would be a better cruise control system. My other vehicles would maintain their speed much better on declines.

Still a lot to work on
By eshifrin

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Car is OK overall. Few problems: 1. Front window is crap (5 scratches on it in 2 years) 2. Losing all power if you put regular gas. 3. Hard to reach front display. 4. No alarm on XLS Style 5. Brake shose must be replased after 25k (should be after 40k)

Heating front seats, Memory seats, auto- dimming mirror

Front windows angle