Used 2002 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Best Car Ever?
By dave

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have the bench seat version which I highly recommend if you want even more space. I have over 134,000 miles on this car and have driven it for almost 6 years. No problems. None. Lucky me but I do take incredible care of this car. I love this car, probably why I take such good care of it. Elegant but for the price it was the best out there. So roomy and quiet and I love the styling. I didn't want to pay the Lexus price, you could say it is the poor man's Lexus but you don't cheat yourself. When Toyota redesigned the Avalon they screwed up big. This car is better than the new models for the price you will pay. Smooth to drive. I will keep this car as long as humanly possible.

Bench seats, shift on the column, roomy interior. Rides great even though corners are not great but I didnt buy it to drive like a sports car. Quiet. Dashboard. Large trunk. Quality. Lunar mist color. Skid Control. Large moonroof. This car will last well beyond 250,000 miles that is my guess.

One review on here said he drove 24000 miles and had to change all 4 breaks shoes. At 90,000 mine were still good according to the dealer but changed them anyway. I baby my car except maybe fast driving on a clear highway. Leather is very good but not great, not disappointed at all.

Awesome Car!
By Dave C

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car! It is my first Toyota, but not my last one. I'd buy another Avalon in a heartbeat. I have always been a big car guy and this small car measures up in roominess and comfort. Good gas mileage too.

Roomy interior, nice leather, very nice audio system, quiet ride.

I don't like the access to the fuel tank and the windows could have a darker tint to them.

Can't part with it
By Florida Owner

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The test drive was the best selling point. I also like the fact that I can use regular gas in a car that drives like a high performance car. The rear seat is as comfortable as the front seat so my visiting family members who are tall appreciate the comfort. The ride is as smooth as glass. Always use the Michelin tires, I tried a cheaper brand and didn't care for the change in handling. Took them off and went back to the Michelins.

Dashboard display is very well placed and well lit. It shows time, temp as well as mileage available on gas reserve. The ride is fabulous.

My only suggestion is the "car bra" should be improved. Metal grommets ate away spots on the beautiful paint on hood.

Nice cruiser roomy - noisy shocks
By avalonowner

2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have put about 30k on mine since buying new. Had to replace brakes. It is based on the same platform as the 97-2002 Camry. I owned a 1998 Camry which had shocks that made knocking noises over bumpy pavement. This Avalon, while very serene, also does the same thing. Maybe the bushings? It's annoying considering the rest of the car is pretty tight. Rear door squeaks when opening. Otherwise, it has been a reliable, relaxing vehicle.

ROOM. Specifically legroom front and rear. One of THE best cars for tall people. I like the power up window and dual sun shades. Trunk is also HUGE. Quiet ride and smooth, excellent V6.

Well, the new Avalon came out in '05, so it probably addresses some issues. Noisy shock towers are annoying. Bigger wheels, too. 15" is a joke.

Tried em all
By toyota again

2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Avalon is the nicest ride I ever felt. Reliable, durable, just can't be beat.

Ride, design, comfort.

Back end design, less plastics.