2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Best car I've driven, ever!
By murty on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car a couple of months ago with nearly 150k miles on it, & I love driving it. My mechanic was impressed with its condition; he told me it will go another 100k! I have owned cars with 150k miles, always as a 2nd owner, & I always found them fairly uncomfortable. I've owned a '76 Honda Civic, an '86 Toyota Tercel (which still runs), an '85 GM Oldsmobile, & a '94 Ford Taurus. The feel of the Avalon is not sporty, but it is wonderfully smooth and powerful. Suddenly I want to go for long drives again, like when I first began driving at 16. I've only owned it for a couple of months, but already I am hoping to sell another of my cars to buy a 2nd Avalon (a newer XLS or Ltd).

Loved it! Buy one.
By con on 08/18/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great car. I just sold one with 140,000 miles on it and I had only only a couple of minor issues. I am 6'3" and weigh 230. Very comfortable. Test drove the newer model, but I really needed an SUV for work purposes. I love my SUV, but I already miss it.

One of the best cars ever
By Spudo on 08/11/09 12:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it was 4 years old and already had 114,000 miles on it. It has been a great car, even 50,000 miles later. Runs like new. Love the power, MPG, comfort and reliability. Have had to do normal maintenance, tires, battery, brakes, fluid changes. The only mechanical issue was occasionally the throttle body will get gummed up and the car will start but not idle. Simple fix, remove the idle air regulator and clean it good with a q tip and carb cleaner. Did this myself in about an hour, no problems since. Great gas mileage, will get 31 mpg on flat highway at 55 miles her hour. Closer to 28-29 at 65-70. City around 21. Get the XLS, as it adds all the luxuries such as heated seats.

Best car I have ever had
By JBS on 07/30/08 19:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive a lot-about 100 miles a day. This is the best car I have ever had and I have 221,000. I have only replaced tires and brakes. I do change the oil regularly and have replaced the battery once. I love this car and even though I am thinking of getting a new one I will miss this one terribly. The ride is so smooth, it handles extremely well, and I have always felt safe in all kinds of weather.

Best Car Ever?
By dave on 03/30/08 16:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have the bench seat version which I highly recommend if you want even more space. I have over 134,000 miles on this car and have driven it for almost 6 years. No problems. None. Lucky me but I do take incredible care of this car. I love this car, probably why I take such good care of it. Elegant but for the price it was the best out there. So roomy and quiet and I love the styling. I didn't want to pay the Lexus price, you could say it is the poor man's Lexus but you don't cheat yourself. When Toyota redesigned the Avalon they screwed up big. This car is better than the new models for the price you will pay. Smooth to drive. I will keep this car as long as humanly possible.

Awesome Car!
By Dave C on 03/07/08 13:42 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car! It is my first Toyota, but not my last one. I'd buy another Avalon in a heartbeat. I have always been a big car guy and this small car measures up in roominess and comfort. Good gas mileage too.

Can't part with it
By Florida Owner on 08/28/07 07:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The test drive was the best selling point. I also like the fact that I can use regular gas in a car that drives like a high performance car. The rear seat is as comfortable as the front seat so my visiting family members who are tall appreciate the comfort. The ride is as smooth as glass. Always use the Michelin tires, I tried a cheaper brand and didn't care for the change in handling. Took them off and went back to the Michelins.

Nice cruiser roomy - noisy shocks
By avalonowner on 05/11/07 13:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have put about 30k on mine since buying new. Had to replace brakes. It is based on the same platform as the 97-2002 Camry. I owned a 1998 Camry which had shocks that made knocking noises over bumpy pavement. This Avalon, while very serene, also does the same thing. Maybe the bushings? It's annoying considering the rest of the car is pretty tight. Rear door squeaks when opening. Otherwise, it has been a reliable, relaxing vehicle.

Tried em all
By toyota again on 03/08/07 14:57 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Avalon is the nicest ride I ever felt. Reliable, durable, just can't be beat.

Best car ever owned!
By Susan on 01/15/07 14:53 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Can't be beat! Best auto I've ever owned, I plan to buy another very soon and my husband will take my currently owned Avalon - we don't want to give it up.