Used 2002 Toyota Avalon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Best car I've driven, ever!
By murty

2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car a couple of months ago with nearly 150k miles on it, & I love driving it. My mechanic was impressed with its condition; he told me it will go another 100k! I have owned cars with 150k miles, always as a 2nd owner, & I always found them fairly uncomfortable. I've owned a '76 Honda Civic, an '86 Toyota Tercel (which still runs), an '85 GM Oldsmobile, & a '94 Ford Taurus. The feel of the Avalon is not sporty, but it is wonderfully smooth and powerful. Suddenly I want to go for long drives again, like when I first began driving at 16. I've only owned it for a couple of months, but already I am hoping to sell another of my cars to buy a 2nd Avalon (a newer XLS or Ltd).

The leather seats feel great, & they are so much easier to clean than cloth. The trunk is huge, & the back seats are comfortable for adults to sit on, with ample leg room. The gas mileage is much better than I expected, I get 26-32 mpg.

I don't like mid-dash design, it seems too distant when I reach over to insert the key, work the stereo, or push the odometer switch to see the trip mileage. The steering wheel feels too close to me, in comparison to the dash & pedal reach. I also prefer a hand brake to a foot pedal brake.

Nice cruiser roomy - noisy shocks
By avalonowner

2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have put about 30k on mine since buying new. Had to replace brakes. It is based on the same platform as the 97-2002 Camry. I owned a 1998 Camry which had shocks that made knocking noises over bumpy pavement. This Avalon, while very serene, also does the same thing. Maybe the bushings? It's annoying considering the rest of the car is pretty tight. Rear door squeaks when opening. Otherwise, it has been a reliable, relaxing vehicle.

ROOM. Specifically legroom front and rear. One of THE best cars for tall people. I like the power up window and dual sun shades. Trunk is also HUGE. Quiet ride and smooth, excellent V6.

Well, the new Avalon came out in '05, so it probably addresses some issues. Noisy shock towers are annoying. Bigger wheels, too. 15" is a joke.

Tried em all
By toyota again

2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Avalon is the nicest ride I ever felt. Reliable, durable, just can't be beat.

Ride, design, comfort.

Back end design, less plastics.

Best car ever owned!
By Susan

2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Can't be beat! Best auto I've ever owned, I plan to buy another very soon and my husband will take my currently owned Avalon - we don't want to give it up.

Comfort, reliability.

Sound controls on steering wheel, headed seats, seat memory.

I absolutely love it!
By Jan Gates

2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have never enjoyed driving, owning, sitting in, riding in or traveling in any vehicle as much as I have enjoyed my Avalon. The dealership has tried but have yet to be successful in convincing me to trade it in because nothing seems better. Our friends always want us to drive and we usually agree because it's so comfortable.

I love the seat adjustments, I love the incredible leg room in all 6 spots. I think the dash board was a stroke of genius. I think the peripheral views are excellent and better than most other vehicles. The trunk size is amazing considering the space inside the car.

The hose needs to be insulated from the engine heat so that when using the vents the air retains outside temp. A pocket behind the front passenger seat would be nice. The heated air flow for floor only is obstructed to the rear.