2002 Toyota Avalon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2002 Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Sort Reviews by

Best car I've driven, ever!
By murty

2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car a couple of months ago with nearly 150k miles on it, & I love driving it. My mechanic was impressed with its condition; he told me it will go another 100k! I have owned cars with 150k miles, always as a 2nd owner, & I always found them fairly uncomfortable. I've owned a '76 Honda Civic, an '86 Toyota Tercel (which still runs), an '85 GM Oldsmobile, & a '94 Ford Taurus. The feel of the Avalon is not sporty, but it is wonderfully smooth and powerful. Suddenly I want to go for long drives again, like when I first began driving at 16. I've only owned it for a couple of months, but already I am hoping to sell another of my cars to buy a 2nd Avalon (a newer XLS or Ltd).

Favorite Features

The leather seats feel great, & they are so much easier to clean than cloth. The trunk is huge, & the back seats are comfortable for adults to sit on, with ample leg room. The gas mileage is much better than I expected, I get 26-32 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like mid-dash design, it seems too distant when I reach over to insert the key, work the stereo, or push the odometer switch to see the trip mileage. The steering wheel feels too close to me, in comparison to the dash & pedal reach. I also prefer a hand brake to a foot pedal brake.

Loved it! Buy one.
By con

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great car. I just sold one with 140,000 miles on it and I had only only a couple of minor issues. I am 6'3" and weigh 230. Very comfortable. Test drove the newer model, but I really needed an SUV for work purposes. I love my SUV, but I already miss it.

Favorite Features

Very spacious for 5 adults. Good gas mileage for a full sized car. Dependability. The six cyl. engine is great. Plenty of power in every situation-even when loaded. Huge trunk.

One of the best cars ever
By Spudo

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when it was 4 years old and already had 114,000 miles on it. It has been a great car, even 50,000 miles later. Runs like new. Love the power, MPG, comfort and reliability. Have had to do normal maintenance, tires, battery, brakes, fluid changes. The only mechanical issue was occasionally the throttle body will get gummed up and the car will start but not idle. Simple fix, remove the idle air regulator and clean it good with a q tip and carb cleaner. Did this myself in about an hour, no problems since. Great gas mileage, will get 31 mpg on flat highway at 55 miles her hour. Closer to 28-29 at 65-70. City around 21. Get the XLS, as it adds all the luxuries such as heated seats.

Favorite Features

XLS features- heated leather seats, in dash cd changer, variable skid control, moonroof, climate control. Also love the confident feeling of safety and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Door handles-one of mine broke right down the middle one damp morning. Plastic handles sort of flimsy when excellent weather seals on the doors stick a little but in the humidity. Also the paint especially on back bumper is very fragile and will chip off easily. MPG computer resets each trip.

Best car I have ever had
By JBS

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I drive a lot-about 100 miles a day. This is the best car I have ever had and I have 221,000. I have only replaced tires and brakes. I do change the oil regularly and have replaced the battery once. I love this car and even though I am thinking of getting a new one I will miss this one terribly. The ride is so smooth, it handles extremely well, and I have always felt safe in all kinds of weather.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature has to be the heated seats. In the winter they are great!! I also like the large display of the clock, miles left in the fuel tank, and the great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the back seats folded down.

Best Car Ever?
By dave

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have the bench seat version which I highly recommend if you want even more space. I have over 134,000 miles on this car and have driven it for almost 6 years. No problems. None. Lucky me but I do take incredible care of this car. I love this car, probably why I take such good care of it. Elegant but for the price it was the best out there. So roomy and quiet and I love the styling. I didn't want to pay the Lexus price, you could say it is the poor man's Lexus but you don't cheat yourself. When Toyota redesigned the Avalon they screwed up big. This car is better than the new models for the price you will pay. Smooth to drive. I will keep this car as long as humanly possible.

Favorite Features

Bench seats, shift on the column, roomy interior. Rides great even though corners are not great but I didnt buy it to drive like a sports car. Quiet. Dashboard. Large trunk. Quality. Lunar mist color. Skid Control. Large moonroof. This car will last well beyond 250,000 miles that is my guess.

Suggested Improvements

One review on here said he drove 24000 miles and had to change all 4 breaks shoes. At 90,000 mine were still good according to the dealer but changed them anyway. I baby my car except maybe fast driving on a clear highway. Leather is very good but not great, not disappointed at all.

Awesome Car!
By Dave C

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this car! It is my first Toyota, but not my last one. I'd buy another Avalon in a heartbeat. I have always been a big car guy and this small car measures up in roominess and comfort. Good gas mileage too.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, nice leather, very nice audio system, quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the access to the fuel tank and the windows could have a darker tint to them.

Can't part with it
By Florida Owner

2002 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The test drive was the best selling point. I also like the fact that I can use regular gas in a car that drives like a high performance car. The rear seat is as comfortable as the front seat so my visiting family members who are tall appreciate the comfort. The ride is as smooth as glass. Always use the Michelin tires, I tried a cheaper brand and didn't care for the change in handling. Took them off and went back to the Michelins.

Favorite Features

Dashboard display is very well placed and well lit. It shows time, temp as well as mileage available on gas reserve. The ride is fabulous.

Suggested Improvements

My only suggestion is the "car bra" should be improved. Metal grommets ate away spots on the beautiful paint on hood.

Nice cruiser roomy - noisy shocks
By avalonowner

2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have put about 30k on mine since buying new. Had to replace brakes. It is based on the same platform as the 97-2002 Camry. I owned a 1998 Camry which had shocks that made knocking noises over bumpy pavement. This Avalon, while very serene, also does the same thing. Maybe the bushings? It's annoying considering the rest of the car is pretty tight. Rear door squeaks when opening. Otherwise, it has been a reliable, relaxing vehicle.

Favorite Features

ROOM. Specifically legroom front and rear. One of THE best cars for tall people. I like the power up window and dual sun shades. Trunk is also HUGE. Quiet ride and smooth, excellent V6.

Suggested Improvements

Well, the new Avalon came out in '05, so it probably addresses some issues. Noisy shock towers are annoying. Bigger wheels, too. 15" is a joke.

Tried em all
By toyota again

2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This Avalon is the nicest ride I ever felt. Reliable, durable, just can't be beat.

Favorite Features

Ride, design, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Back end design, less plastics.

Best car ever owned!
By Susan

2002 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Can't be beat! Best auto I've ever owned, I plan to buy another very soon and my husband will take my currently owned Avalon - we don't want to give it up.

Favorite Features

Comfort, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Sound controls on steering wheel, headed seats, seat memory.