A poor quality car
By Greg on
2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
I bought it new. I had emission problems with it. The computer failed. All these repairs were very expensive for the parts. By 35k, the soft suspension was shot. I had to drop the suspension and go through all the bushings, and upgrade the struts. Now it handles well. I have been "wrenching" for 30+ years. This auto is not well built, relative to toyotas of years ago. Several times I have had to buy expensive, special tools to work on it. It is very hard to work on. Our '94 Accord is a better car. We have a 4+ year old xterra thats much higher quality. I have owned some good fords (ranger), two nissans now, and one Honda. I will never buy another Toyota.
Favorite Features
After completely rebuilding the suspension, now it handles well. The engine is strong, but the transmission, at 55K, is showing weakness.
Suggested Improvements
I honestly don't think this is a well designed car. It' supposed to be "luxury", but it's low-quality, and is VERY expensive to work on. Toyota needs to stop purposely designing their cars to be so difficult to work on. The transmission has always been somewhat quirky.