I have the only Avalon with problems
By JLG on
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
OK, I know the Avalon is supposed to be a great car, but I've had a few expensive problems with brakes. Excessive rust near the rotors caused the brakes to fail after only 35,000 miles, and again at 55,000 miles. I've been told by two dealers that the brakes will be a chronic problem. Paint on the hood is chipping and peeling, and the CD player had to be replaced after two years. Every other Avalon owner I've met loves their car, so maybe mine is the exception.
Favorite Features
Smooth ride, great acceleration, comfortable interior (I'm 6'6" tall - this car is VERY roomy).
Suggested Improvements
Better brakes, dashboard lights glare on windshield at night.
By patc12
on 09/15/12 10:24 AM (PDT)

I also have a 2001 that has the paint on the hood chipping terribly. I contacted Toyota and they said they did not have any other complaints regarding the paint on the hood. I think they lied. I would love to hear from anyone else that has had a problem with the paint peeling. I love my car and would buy another in a heartbeat if I won the lottery. The other problem I have is with the check engine light. I have replaced 3 sensors and the last one replaced did not turn the light off. Mechanic says it's fine the car is ok but he cannot figure out why the light will not go out. Anyone else have this problem???

By bridgman
on 12/29/11 17:23 PM (PST)

I agree with you. I have a 2001 XL, that I purchased in 2003 with 15,000 miles. The brakes were bad. I took it back to the dealer, who turned the rotors and new linings. I was never impressed with its stopping ability. Later I spent over $1,200 in 3 trips to Midas. They blamed the failure to have smooth brakes on Toyota. It had a buzz in the windshield, so loud my wife and I had difficulty conversing. This ended when I replaced the windshield. The front driver fender sounds like a train whistle when a cold strong wind batters it. The auto up driver window goes up and then back down half way, this after 3 trips to the Toyota dealer with failed repairs. The transmission is not smooth in shifting and clunks at a downshift when coming to a stop, even though Toyota "reset" it. The headliner has fallen/hanging down over the rear passengers, embarrassing. The car is noisy around the moonroof. Vasoline on the rubber seals offers amazing results. The ride is good. It is roomy, but not good on gas mileage (26-27 best on hiway). I now have slightly under 139,000 miles with alternator replaced recently and ignition switch failing.