2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Best Luxury Car for the money
By AverageJohn on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the XLS fully loaded - leather interior, JBL sound system, 16" wheels. This car runs terrific - great acceleration. Great gas mileage too - I get 24 arounf town and push 30 on the highway. Have had no problems. This is my second Toyota (my first was a 92 Camry - which is still going strong, pushing 200,000 miles). This car is best deal for money. Fit and finish are superb. Sound system is awesome. Very very quiet.

don't compare with GLE
By CarManiac on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I brought a brand new 2001 avalon XL with bucket seats with power, JBL sound system, and 15inch rims. I had no problems with the brakes, tires, engine and etc. I really like this cars paint job. It is a great travel car. at the speeds of 80- 90mph there isn't much road or wind noise, which is amazing. there is one problem; after 8,000 miles the back doors open and close alot. Screws inside or something is loose, everytime i go on a bump i hear the squeeking or cracking noise on the doors. I don't know why some people compare this car with the Maxima GLE, i mean its a sports car, not a luxury family car.

I love it!!
By on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I don't think I could have gotten any more vehicle for the money. I have had NO problems. The only negative would be the comfort of the front seat. I have the split bench seat. It is not very comfortable for my lower back.

Great Avalon
By WAH RE on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a near perfect car from Toyota. I love everything about the car; a better Camry with more room for my large build family: all men 6 feet tall on a trip & we love the back seat. Didn't have GPS on 01 but I think 03 has it now.

Overrated
By MHS on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Beginning at 15K, it began to perform like a vehicle with 4x the miles. Dealer glad to $ervice but blew off complaints with "they all do that". Sqeaking and klacking brakes, wind sway, rapid tire wear and general loose feel ... in spite of all the service. Traded at the end of year. Mediocre resale adding insult to injury. First and last Toyota for me!

very disappointed
By lumberbrok on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2 mistakes one for thinking about buying it and the 2nd for doing it. several trips back to dealership (woodgrain-brakes-rotors-dash cracking) 2 front end accidents one with a deer and one with a vehicle at 65 Mph on the interstate and both occurences the air bags have not deployed the last time 09/04/02 the seat belt didn't even lock. Body damage was very severe to the avalon. 5th toyota vehicle we have owned this one has ruint the reputation we are finished with them all together. on a another review that it received a 3 star rating on crash test so this defies my answer to what i think--by the way the ford focus rated higher!

Love my Avalon
By JJ@Santee on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Comfort of a large luxury sedan with the peformance of a sports sedan. I've driven 43000 miles in 20 months and the reliability and performance have been extraordinary. Routine oil changes, tire rotations, etc.... My next car will also be an Avalon.

2001 Avalon XLS-You can't go wrong
By Larry on 07/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Avalon is my third Toyota, and it is definitely the best. Before buying this car I looked at the Lincoln LS, Audi, Volvo, and several SUV options. The value of this car is undeniable. I chose this car based on my personal experience with the long term quality Toyota builds into their cars. It's quiet, quick, and has the best interior finish and volume of anything I looked at other than an SUV. In my opinion, Toyota builds the best car on the market today.

2001 Toyota Avalon XL
By mdp on 05/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Car seems to want to hydroplane in heavy rain. Battery had to be replaced at 10,000 miles. Dealership had to order some parts for car and they took a long time to come in. Dealership said parts were out of stock at supplier. Smooth ride and no rattles. Excellent gas milage. Car does not have pick up like my 1989 Acura Legend when I accelerate to pass. Exterior paint job does not seem to be equal to Acura. Overall very pleased with car.

A Year with my Avalon
By troutman on 04/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded a 2000 Camry for my Avalon XLS. I injured my back and found I couldn't ride in the Camry for more than 20 minutes without developing severe back pain. I was forced to do something. I shopped around for a month and looked at and drove many cars. The Volvo S60 2.4 was most like the Avalon and I would have purchased one but the dealer expected sticker which I will not pay. Toyota sold me the Avalon at invoice. I am not that pleased with the light steering feel but I am use to performance cars with big power. I'm 55 years old and grew up driving muscle cars. Overall the Avalon is exceptional in this age.