Used 2001 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Sole owner
By Matt

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been virtually trouble free. There appears to be a little too much wear and tear on tires which might be the driver as well as wear demand on brakes. Comfort is incredible with no back aches after hours of driving, realiability the best of any car I ever owned. Very roomy, quiet, and resists road and external noise. Danger of falling asleep at the wheel it is so smooth. VSC has not been an annoyance but a pleasant surprise. Sunroof adds much to enjoyment of drive. Speakers and sound very excellent and I am a very discriminant listener. Compares to Lexus model as same car but much less $.

Comfort, heated seats and sunroof, large well lit displays, spacious

Visibility of gauges from driver position. Addition of stereo and display controls on steering wheel would be more functional.

My Avalon
By Lezahm

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

For my retiree life, I have enjoyed the economy of my Avalon. Trunk is very roomy. Would like an American seat. Needs more room in front than back. Dials need to be in front of steering for time, mileage, etc. Toyota should not scrimp on good tires on a new model, as their brand had to be replaced in 15,000 miles, when the manufacturer warranted (with fine print) 30,000. I bought a different brand and paid full price for Michelin which I asked for when purchased but they would not give to me; therefore I had to take their tires if I wanted the car. I did not like that. I got no consideration unless I replaced the shabby tires that came on it from that company.

Will go when I want to go. Size of trunk. Clean lines, with sufficient head room. I have very low mileage compared to average driver and keep it serviced.

Put mileage dial in larger letters near the steering heel It is too far away. Close hole between seats in front, as items fall through to rear floor. Engineer it so viewing oncoming traffic from the right when another passenger is in front seat, so driver can look to right and see what is coming.

Fantastic Avalon XLS
By Mark

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Fantastic Car, tight as the day I bought it. Great gas mileage, quiet, comfortable, reliable. I am looking into buying a new Avalon and giving this to my son. I have had no problems other than new tires, brakes and normal oil changes. Toyota quality at its best. I bought an 03 Highlander based on my experience with this Avalon. Can't think of a better car for the money. If you are looking for a reliable car with no worries I highly recommend an Avalon. My friends comment on how well it rides, how quiet and comfortable it is on long trips. I will have this car in the family for years.

Quiet comfortable ride, great sound system in the JBL. Nice fuel economy and drivability

On the steering wheel cruise control, the switches should be illuminated.

Love It!
By Pat

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have never had to do anything to this car except change the oil and tires--even the breaks are original at 88,000+ miles. It is comfortable, the mileage is great (and I drive hilly roads daily).

comfort and mileage

I have the only Avalon with problems
By JLG

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

OK, I know the Avalon is supposed to be a great car, but I've had a few expensive problems with brakes. Excessive rust near the rotors caused the brakes to fail after only 35,000 miles, and again at 55,000 miles. I've been told by two dealers that the brakes will be a chronic problem. Paint on the hood is chipping and peeling, and the CD player had to be replaced after two years. Every other Avalon owner I've met loves their car, so maybe mine is the exception.

Smooth ride, great acceleration, comfortable interior (I'm 6'6" tall - this car is VERY roomy).

Better brakes, dashboard lights glare on windshield at night.