2001 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
toyota avalonxls
By bobw on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Rides as good or better than wife's lexus. also has more head-room than the lexus. It is fun to drive and handles well. Have had no mechanical breakdowns in 73,000 miles. Didn't have to get breaks for over 60,000 miles. Most comfortable and fun car as well as most reliable that I have ever owned.

It's a real beauty
By Gary Tucker on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been my best experience with a Toyota product. Started with a 4 Runner then to a Camry XLS and now have the Avalon XLS which there is no comparison. I was also quite surprised with the gas mileage when using the cruise control. Makes a huge difference when traveling to use the cruise control.

2001 AVALON XL -- EXCELLENT
By SUZY on 06/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

2001 Avalon is a beautiful vehicle, drives like floating on a cloud, quiet, a true pleasure. Good fuel economy. Beautiful interior. Very roomy - especially the back seat is roomy compared to other vehicles.

Best Car for Money Period
By John H on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Only fault is cheap tires. Factory tires were General. Sorry, sorry tires. Hydroplaned awfully. Had it not been for ABS, would have wrecked at least twice in last two years. Bought Goodyear tires, all is well. Still, a car that sells for $28,000 should have Michelins. Very quiet! Very comfortable for 6'2", 300 lbs guy. Gas mileage only 21 in city (20 with AC), but close to 30 on highway. I would like power & handling more like Maxima. However, Maxima is no where near as comfortable for big men, no contest here. Fit and finish better than any other car I've owned in my 55 years, period.

I'll be darned...
By diktrikl on 06/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I wouldn't have considered the Avalon as an outright new car purchase but was pleasantly surprised at ride quality (on par with Volvo S-80) and feel I got a bargain at $17K. There's no way you are going to find one from a dealer for under twenty grand. Toyota reliability and savings to boot... seems trivial to gripe about the bland white color.

Super without counting dealer!
By peterfl on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

It is super luxurious and you won't ever like to drive a rental car, not even luxury class, after having driven this. Maintenance is minimal. The dealer is awful. Does not stick to appointed times for maintenance (had to wait 1 hour on drop off and 1 hour on pick up!). At 30,000 mile service dealer did not check everything (did not notice that trunk button does not open trunk anymore) and that tires were bald.

My Avalon
By Bettyboop/Betty on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been very pleased with this car. All I've needed is my regular oil changes and just recently had to put on a new set of tires. The car looks like new (after a good wash which it gets about every other week). Mechanically, the car is in excellent condition. No problems at all.

Toyota Avalon xls
By lgra9361 on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

No major problems in over 30,000 miles. Excellent dealer service. Small problem with the driver seat recliner that was fixed with a new part installed by the dealer within a week of my complaint.

Count on it
By PhoenixJim on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in my 1st Avalon ('85 XLS) for the new model last year after having testing the Acura, the S80, and others. The Avalon is the best car built for the money. One of the Avalon's greatest strengths. I recently learned, is its safety and handling ability. Last weekend, while driving on the highway at approx 80 mph next to a semi, I hit a large rock in the road which blew both of my right tires. I had no problem keeping control of the car, slowing down, and getting to the right. I credit the Avalon's handling with literally saving my life.

We love our Avalon!
By LMartin on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Ever since we bought our Avalon, we have loved to drive in it. It is worth every penny of what we paid for it, though we regret now not buying the XLS. It rides like a dream, and the fuel mileage is an excellent 25 miles to the gallon.