2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Paint Problem
By patc12 on 09/15/12 10:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 Avalon new. I love this car but have one major problem. The paint on the hood is peeling. I contacted Toyota and they claim there have been no other complaints about this model having a paint issue. Anyone else out there have a 2001 with this issue? The other issue I have is with the sensors. I have replaced all or most of them and the check engine light remained on after the last replacement. This issue gets very expensive!

A poor quality car
By Greg on 07/29/10 23:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new. I had emission problems with it. The computer failed. All these repairs were very expensive for the parts. By 35k, the soft suspension was shot. I had to drop the suspension and go through all the bushings, and upgrade the struts. Now it handles well. I have been "wrenching" for 30+ years. This auto is not well built, relative to toyotas of years ago. Several times I have had to buy expensive, special tools to work on it. It is very hard to work on. Our '94 Accord is a better car. We have a 4+ year old xterra thats much higher quality. I have owned some good fords (ranger), two nissans now, and one Honda. I will never buy another Toyota.

Champagne on a beer budget
By TMINJ on 05/24/10 21:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it w/ 127K 5 months ago, 159K now, paid $9K (well maintained) it is really a flawless car. Sure, I had to replace the timing belt and brakes, but that is what is expected at 100K miles. The ride on this car is smooth and it takes to hard corners like a bucket of water, but it is not a sports car and that should be understood. Ride / build is Lexus quality. Even with 159K miles on it is solid over bumps and shows no sign of its age. Interior space is outstanding and power seats make good comfort and lumbar support. This is my second Avalon and looking forward to breaking 300K on this one like I did my last one. Then I will buy another 8-9 year old Avalon and start all over again!

8 yrs of comfort, speed, reliability
By Peter on 10/12/09 07:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After years we still love our efficient, fast, luxurious, super comfortable silent, low maintenance Toyota Avalon 2001 XL. We're both demanding drivers, but it puts up with our abuse, even jumping a tree trunk in front of the car in a snow storm and still coming out of it without wrecking. After 134,00 miles we finally are replacing original struts and shocks. A minor thing is that the check engine light comes on and off off late with an error code that may point to something related to the oil valve. At this moment the light is off though. Probably the new age of sensors comes with that kind of electronic oversensitivity.

Very reliable
By D Brown on 07/25/09 06:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car has performed very well. Gas mileage is good, especially for this car's size. It is extremely smooth and quiet, running as well as it did when it was new. Brakes were changed at 72K miles. Other than that, have only done fluid changes, batteries, tires, filters and timing belt/water pump -- all recommended maintenance. It is extremely comfortable on long trips. Back seat has tremendous leg and head room.

Features of Toyota Avalon
By John M Clark on 01/01/07 09:17 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Avalon is a pleasure to drive in particular on long road trips. The response of the car is great as well as the comfort. Excellent gas mileage at approximately 29 mpg on the highway.

Quality car
By Toyota Avalon xl on 07/08/06 10:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

If you want a quality large sedan, this Avalon is your car! This one has a bench seat which gives you more front seat room; wish they were still made with bench seats. I will hang onto this one because is has one, instead of purchasing a new one. I have had no mechanical problems at all. The car drives very smooth and has great pick up. The love the back end look, the exterior front is kind of boring.

My Avalon
By Lezahm on 04/23/06 22:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

For my retiree life, I have enjoyed the economy of my Avalon. Trunk is very roomy. Would like an American seat. Needs more room in front than back. Dials need to be in front of steering for time, mileage, etc. Toyota should not scrimp on good tires on a new model, as their brand had to be replaced in 15,000 miles, when the manufacturer warranted (with fine print) 30,000. I bought a different brand and paid full price for Michelin which I asked for when purchased but they would not give to me; therefore I had to take their tires if I wanted the car. I did not like that. I got no consideration unless I replaced the shabby tires that came on it from that company.

Love It!
By Pat on 03/07/06 12:06 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have never had to do anything to this car except change the oil and tires--even the breaks are original at 88,000+ miles. It is comfortable, the mileage is great (and I drive hilly roads daily).

One of the worst Toyota's built
By Harris on 02/16/05 16:07 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Toyota really shot down their reputation with this car. I've been a mechanic for eight years and never saw a Toyota with such poor quality and reliability. It was a great car until it hit 20k. The couple of sensors were going bad; burning way to rich, alternator, compressor and power steering pump. My 87 7MGE Supra had less problems then this car. This was my 6th Toyota and my last. Toyota isn't building the cars like they used to.