Used 2001 Toyota Avalon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Paint Problem
By patc12

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 Avalon new. I love this car but have one major problem. The paint on the hood is peeling. I contacted Toyota and they claim there have been no other complaints about this model having a paint issue. Anyone else out there have a 2001 with this issue? The other issue I have is with the sensors. I have replaced all or most of them and the check engine light remained on after the last replacement. This issue gets very expensive!

I love the comfort and the quiet ride of this car. This was my 1st non-American car and I love it.

Paint quality needs to improve.

A poor quality car
By Greg

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new. I had emission problems with it. The computer failed. All these repairs were very expensive for the parts. By 35k, the soft suspension was shot. I had to drop the suspension and go through all the bushings, and upgrade the struts. Now it handles well. I have been "wrenching" for 30+ years. This auto is not well built, relative to toyotas of years ago. Several times I have had to buy expensive, special tools to work on it. It is very hard to work on. Our '94 Accord is a better car. We have a 4+ year old xterra thats much higher quality. I have owned some good fords (ranger), two nissans now, and one Honda. I will never buy another Toyota.

After completely rebuilding the suspension, now it handles well. The engine is strong, but the transmission, at 55K, is showing weakness.

I honestly don't think this is a well designed car. It' supposed to be "luxury", but it's low-quality, and is VERY expensive to work on. Toyota needs to stop purposely designing their cars to be so difficult to work on. The transmission has always been somewhat quirky.

Champagne on a beer budget
By TMINJ

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it w/ 127K 5 months ago, 159K now, paid $9K (well maintained) it is really a flawless car. Sure, I had to replace the timing belt and brakes, but that is what is expected at 100K miles. The ride on this car is smooth and it takes to hard corners like a bucket of water, but it is not a sports car and that should be understood. Ride / build is Lexus quality. Even with 159K miles on it is solid over bumps and shows no sign of its age. Interior space is outstanding and power seats make good comfort and lumbar support. This is my second Avalon and looking forward to breaking 300K on this one like I did my last one. Then I will buy another 8-9 year old Avalon and start all over again!

The residual value of the car as it ages. You get what you paid for on these vehicles. Not many used Avalons on the market. Typically owners of Avalons are thrifty middle class people who take good care of their cars and keep them forever. If you find a good used one buy it quick!

Toyota should lease more Avalons to improve thrifty people like myself looking for a good dependable used vehicle. Also, offer a loyalty trade in program exclusive for Avalon owners to boost the used market. Most Avalon owners keep their vehicles for life. Overall no suggested improvements!

8 yrs of comfort, speed, reliability
By Peter

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

After years we still love our efficient, fast, luxurious, super comfortable silent, low maintenance Toyota Avalon 2001 XL. We're both demanding drivers, but it puts up with our abuse, even jumping a tree trunk in front of the car in a snow storm and still coming out of it without wrecking. After 134,00 miles we finally are replacing original struts and shocks. A minor thing is that the check engine light comes on and off off late with an error code that may point to something related to the oil valve. At this moment the light is off though. Probably the new age of sensors comes with that kind of electronic oversensitivity.

Sunroof, leather, fast pickup, Lexus comfort thanks to Lexus frame, spacious trunk.

none

Very reliable
By D Brown

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The car has performed very well. Gas mileage is good, especially for this car's size. It is extremely smooth and quiet, running as well as it did when it was new. Brakes were changed at 72K miles. Other than that, have only done fluid changes, batteries, tires, filters and timing belt/water pump -- all recommended maintenance. It is extremely comfortable on long trips. Back seat has tremendous leg and head room.

Smooth, easy to drive, quiet, huge back seat, very comfortable and supportive front seats.

Side mirrors should not be fixed, but should be able to bend forward/backward so you don't risk breaking them if you hit them. Better tires on the new car.