Used 2001 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Paint Problem
By patc12

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 Avalon new. I love this car but have one major problem. The paint on the hood is peeling. I contacted Toyota and they claim there have been no other complaints about this model having a paint issue. Anyone else out there have a 2001 with this issue? The other issue I have is with the sensors. I have replaced all or most of them and the check engine light remained on after the last replacement. This issue gets very expensive!

I love the comfort and the quiet ride of this car. This was my 1st non-American car and I love it.

Paint quality needs to improve.

No problems at 177,000 miles
By dsper

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our 2001 Avalon new. Replaced the timing belt at 100,000, replaced the alternator at 170,000 and the struts at 175,000. Otherwise, nothing but tires and brakes. Large comfortable four or five passenger car with plenty of zip. My other car is a Corvette when I feel the need to act like a kid.

Interior comfort and well thought out controls and dashboard

Riding on smiles
By Ahmad

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have brought my Avalon xls with 103,000 km. and just loss it in an accident at 243,954 km. This car runs like magic, all my friends, are so surprise how beautiful, comfortable and spacious it is on the inside. most of the people I give a ride, after being amazed by the silences and smooth ride, do not believe it is a 2001, they think its a newer model. I am going to miss this car. but now I am on edmunds researching a 2005 avalon used one. just hoping I will get a even greater one. I am now using a 2010 toyota camry for the rental, and I still would choose my 2001 avalon ahead of the camry, not for the looks from outside, but for the comfort,low noise and luxury of the ride.

smooth and soft ride, huge trunk space. and quite engine and cabin, roomy back seats.

check engine light comes on too much with out a problem, as far as I am concern.

A poor quality car
By Greg

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new. I had emission problems with it. The computer failed. All these repairs were very expensive for the parts. By 35k, the soft suspension was shot. I had to drop the suspension and go through all the bushings, and upgrade the struts. Now it handles well. I have been "wrenching" for 30+ years. This auto is not well built, relative to toyotas of years ago. Several times I have had to buy expensive, special tools to work on it. It is very hard to work on. Our '94 Accord is a better car. We have a 4+ year old xterra thats much higher quality. I have owned some good fords (ranger), two nissans now, and one Honda. I will never buy another Toyota.

After completely rebuilding the suspension, now it handles well. The engine is strong, but the transmission, at 55K, is showing weakness.

I honestly don't think this is a well designed car. It' supposed to be "luxury", but it's low-quality, and is VERY expensive to work on. Toyota needs to stop purposely designing their cars to be so difficult to work on. The transmission has always been somewhat quirky.

Champagne on a beer budget
By TMINJ

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it w/ 127K 5 months ago, 159K now, paid $9K (well maintained) it is really a flawless car. Sure, I had to replace the timing belt and brakes, but that is what is expected at 100K miles. The ride on this car is smooth and it takes to hard corners like a bucket of water, but it is not a sports car and that should be understood. Ride / build is Lexus quality. Even with 159K miles on it is solid over bumps and shows no sign of its age. Interior space is outstanding and power seats make good comfort and lumbar support. This is my second Avalon and looking forward to breaking 300K on this one like I did my last one. Then I will buy another 8-9 year old Avalon and start all over again!

The residual value of the car as it ages. You get what you paid for on these vehicles. Not many used Avalons on the market. Typically owners of Avalons are thrifty middle class people who take good care of their cars and keep them forever. If you find a good used one buy it quick!

Toyota should lease more Avalons to improve thrifty people like myself looking for a good dependable used vehicle. Also, offer a loyalty trade in program exclusive for Avalon owners to boost the used market. Most Avalon owners keep their vehicles for life. Overall no suggested improvements!