One year update with my 2000 Toyota Avalon.
By hondaacura21 on
2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan
It's been exactly a year since I bought my 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS from a private sale. I purchased it with 124,000 miles and its been very reliable with not a single problem. It is really impressive that my 13 year old Avalon still provides a silky smooth drive and is very quiet even compared to never cars. This Avalon is a "poor man's" Lexus. I drove 26K miles in this year: 450 miles a week due to work, a 1750 road trip from GA to TX, and 7000 miles of small mountain trips. Even with both leaky valve cover gaskets, leaky cam seals, old timing belt and water pump and blown struts this Toyota has never left me stranded and drove excellent. Before I give this to my mom I will repair it.
Favorite Features
The 1mz-fe V6 in my Avalon provides adequate but silky smooth power. As I mentioned before I am in love with the Avalon's silky smooth ride and a quiet demeanor. JBL is good. Gas mileage is also decent for a big V6 sedan around 28-29 mpg. From the outside the Avalon looks normal sized but inside it has abundant room. Steering wheel is really light so its easy in parking lots. RELIABILITY is the best in Toyota products. In a year I only replaced front brake pads and turned rotors (the backs are still ok) and these were original and bought new tires. I still need to take care of normal maintenance items mentioned above. Even at 150K it drives smoother then newer cars with half that mileage.
Suggested Improvements
I don't have any complains about my Toyota Avalon but to satisfy this section of this review I will say that the handling is a bit loose and the steering is light even at highway speeds. Another minor issue is that the front seats don't even have seat back pockets behind them to place items.