Fantastic Family Car
By mom_of_three3 on
2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan
We bought this car used (5 yrs old, in 2005)when I was 6 months pregnant with our first child. We've had NO issues with it at all. We've replaced one battery and two sets of wiper blades in the 5 1/2 years we've owned it, and it now has 210K on it. It's incredible, really. It's no longer when parked beside any other typical sedan (my in-laws had an Acura 3.2TL) but my mind finds it hard to understand where all the space inside comes from! My 6' tall husband can sit in the back seat with the front seats all the way back and his knees don't touch the front seats-we love that the backseat isn't just for the kids. Definately room for everyone in here!
Favorite Features
It's big and roomy both in the cabin and in the trunk (handy for hauling the stroller along--it never leaves the trunk and I still have more than half the trunk left to fill with groceries or to haul our recycling in.) Our family grew faster than we thought it would (now we have 3) and we're still loving the Avalon. We are looking at upgrading to a Sequoia to have more space for family trips but if we had two children, I wouldn't even be thinking of selling this vehicle. But still, room for a rear facing infant seat, forward facing 5pt harness seat, and a backless booster. What other car can do that?? It more than met our needs as a family of four!
Suggested Improvements
Nothing. I love that my husband is willing to drive it (it accelerates fast enough for him to enjoy driving it!) and that all three kids can fit in the back seat even though they are all in car seats. I wish it had the lower anchoring system for the car seats (some pre-2002 vehicles did have them) but we are used to installing with the locking lap belt now. I put on just over 20,000 km's a year, and all we have to do is get the oil changed. I LOVE this car, and it's because of our experience with this Avalon that I want to stick with Toyota when we buy an SUV within the next year or so. Sequoia, here we come!