Used 2000 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

They don't make them like this anymore.
By ncguy33

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used with 126000 miles on it. Now a few miles from 200000, I hav'nt had to do anything but oil changes to it. These 2000-2004 model Avalons are the last of the great Toyotas. The newer Toyotas quality cannot compare. There's no better used sedan out there, bar none.. from the comfort and the gas mileage to the realiability.

No car payment!

Best car I've ever had!!
By clatterpastor

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Avalon with 92k miles on it. A friend had driven one from his father's car lot and remarked at what great gas mileage he got on a road trip. I drove it and bought it immediately. The road manners are what you would expect for a luxury sedan of this type; not sporty but "safe" feeling. I have driven it on 16-18 hour trips for years and was always comfortable (5'11" 180). Mileage had always been 28-29 hwy. and 20-22 city. We now have 236K on the car and have only done brakes once, timing belt, water pump and seals twice, replaced the sub-woofer and that's all! It has been the most reliable car I have owned and that includes Mercedes, Hondas, Lincoln and Ford. I plan to buy another!

Driving position/ergonomics, stereo (JBL), rear seat and trunk room, economy and value.

Solid car
By jmacgregor87

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I live in the NW and this is my girlfriends car. She has owned it since day 1 of its life and takes good care of it. Miles; 126K Pros; Dirves great, good gas milage, stars every time, dependable, and is comfortable for long hauls. Cons; In the last 2 years things have started to break/fail. She has replaced the key ignition twice for 2 different reasons. Some rattles have started to show up, it is 10 years old. The sub-woffer has a short, we found out it's in the stereo it self.

Driving the car. I drive a Van or Truck most of the time. So not having to worry about parking is a good thing. Gas milage, with gas around $4.00 and getting around 30 on the Freeway is good.

Teflon Avalon
By gruitnower

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I have ever owned. I frequently look at these reviews about cars and wonder if they are biased towards Japanese cars. Well let me tell you, I just bought my Avalon with 108k on it and it drives like it only has 4 miles on it. Everything works flawlessly and it starts right up every morning. The look of this car is second to none, distinguished and stylish. I love the leather interior and the spacious trunk. I feel like I float to work instead of drive to work. The engine purrs like a kitten with no hitch on acceleration. This car puts ALL American mid size sedans to rest HANDS DOWN. the quality in workmanship is impeccable

Power sunroof, leather interior, smooth shifting transmission, spacious trunk, JBL stereo, suspension and tight steering. Gas mileage is respectable for a car of its size.

None.

Fantastic Family Car
By mom_of_three3

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used (5 yrs old, in 2005)when I was 6 months pregnant with our first child. We've had NO issues with it at all. We've replaced one battery and two sets of wiper blades in the 5 1/2 years we've owned it, and it now has 210K on it. It's incredible, really. It's no longer when parked beside any other typical sedan (my in-laws had an Acura 3.2TL) but my mind finds it hard to understand where all the space inside comes from! My 6' tall husband can sit in the back seat with the front seats all the way back and his knees don't touch the front seats-we love that the backseat isn't just for the kids. Definately room for everyone in here!

It's big and roomy both in the cabin and in the trunk (handy for hauling the stroller along--it never leaves the trunk and I still have more than half the trunk left to fill with groceries or to haul our recycling in.) Our family grew faster than we thought it would (now we have 3) and we're still loving the Avalon. We are looking at upgrading to a Sequoia to have more space for family trips but if we had two children, I wouldn't even be thinking of selling this vehicle. But still, room for a rear facing infant seat, forward facing 5pt harness seat, and a backless booster. What other car can do that?? It more than met our needs as a family of four!

Nothing. I love that my husband is willing to drive it (it accelerates fast enough for him to enjoy driving it!) and that all three kids can fit in the back seat even though they are all in car seats. I wish it had the lower anchoring system for the car seats (some pre-2002 vehicles did have them) but we are used to installing with the locking lap belt now. I put on just over 20,000 km's a year, and all we have to do is get the oil changed. I LOVE this car, and it's because of our experience with this Avalon that I want to stick with Toyota when we buy an SUV within the next year or so. Sequoia, here we come!

• SUV