2000 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
What A Diamond
By rambo on 06/28/10 18:22 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I work for a Toyota dealership and bought a 1-Owner 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS with 85,000 miles and it has been a pure diamond. I just had the windows tinted and the car doesn't have a scratch on it and has all the service records as well. I'm very pleased with this one!

Not a bad car
By surman on 06/03/10 06:58 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Roomy and comfortable. Fast and maneuverable. Some say it's "old people's car" but its fast, accelerates well. Interior and controls are well laid out.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Landtuna on 04/29/10 16:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Wife's car but I drive it often. Had one service visit in ten years - dirty MAF sensor. Doesn't get any better than that. Does everything you'd want it to do in silence and comfort. Remarkably large cabin for a mid-sized vehicle. Trunk holds a ton of stuff too. JBL sound system is great. Visibility is outstanding (except as noted below). Wife gets 22 MPG (reg gas) around town. I get almost 30 on highway. Paint still looks like new. Only one small and insignificant rattle in almost 90K miles. I call it a Japanese Buick but its much better than a GM car.

Great car.
By Mitzie on 04/06/10 19:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new and most of the time I am the only driver. I put new tires on this past winter. The car is clean. Except for regular maintenance I have had very little trouble with this car. I replaced the water pump a few years ago and the brakes.

Toyota 2000 Avalon XLS
By Dan on 12/08/09 13:01 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Big car. Great when having friends or large family trips. 2000 Model looked good inside all controls convenient. Did not use sun roof but came with car. Skid control was not worth the extra I paid for it. Would not purchase that again even though I live in Northeast did not use it much. For 6 years most everything stayed intact and no problems. You have to love the interior room for everyone it is great! Also not that bad on gas. Had a very quiet ride. Into my 7th year things started falling apart. From 7th to 9th year replaced close to $1,300 in sensors over two years. Small parts started falling apart. Could not use mid grade had to stay with Premium or got poor performance. Leather not soft and plushy even started to wear a lot.

Used Toyota Good Value?
By cyberdeviant on 11/14/09 20:34 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Ok first off this isn't my car, it's my fathers, I am in transition to a new car and drive this car to and from school (100 mile commute) This car is reliable and has a near smooth ride but that's all it has going for it. The thing rattles like no other car I've owned. This includes the dash, all 4 doors, seats make squeaky noise, center console rattles when stopped. The one thing I like about it is the stereo is decent but any louder than normal voice volume and the doors rattle insistently. This car rattles more than my old 89' Toyota pickup 4x4. The car (when purchased) had an oil jelling problem and luckily it was a recall and Toyota fixed it no charge. Thought Toyota lasted but not this car.

Best Car Ever
By XL on 04/07/09 08:18 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

It is the best! Fit, finish, reliability! Fun to drive and to look at!

Best Buick Ever
By DrGloom on 08/16/08 10:02 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

When my new 2000 Acura TL arrived, I couldn't get comfortable in the driver's seat (6'2", 220 lb) so I canceled the deal and bought the Avalon XLS instead. Back then, I thought it was ugly and definitely a compromise. Now, it looks "classic" and the lines seem much cleaner, and it has been 100% trouble free, but too much is sacrificed for ride comfort. I found *huge* improvements by upgrading the shocks (KYB), tires (Michelin Exalto 225/50x16), and brake pads (Red Stuff)... and the roomy front seat has spoiled me for some otherwise very good cars.

My New Old Car
By ds05121956 on 05/11/08 13:55 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

As a single, middle aged female, I admit to having taken above average care of this car. But after eight years and 86,000 miles, I've not been out a penny on it other than routine maint. I still get regular compliments on it and when I say it's 8 years old, people say, "I thought it was brand new." Planning to keep it, I just had some surface blemishes repaired and am more thrilled than if it really were brand new, since I don't have a $500/mo. Payment to deal with and it's a pleasure to drive still-not fun, but pleasant. I'll have my fun with those $500 on something else.

Not the best choice
By Jim on 05/06/08 13:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Over the years the car has not done well, time to sell - the VSC is OFF, light on dash - will cost $600 to fix a $600 option, the gas gauge stops at 1/4 tank. 8 years of below average, constantly small items - trouble w/ stereo, woofer blew out, squeaks, had interoir parts replaced. In 2nd year of ownership, the leather peeled off steering wheel. That was replaced under warranty. Hopefully they got better, disappointed overall.