Used 2000 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

16 years 199,400 miles
By Dave

2000 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Can't say enough about this car. Purchased new. Until last year no problems whatsoever. Regular maintanance only; brakes, shocks, tires, belts, ect. This past year bearings, power steering pump. Will run it until it is no longer financially prudent. By far the best car I've ever owned. Q

Perfect for young driver
By JJ

2000 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I just turned 20 and I've had the car for about 2 years. I have torn the hell out of the car and drove it like a bat out of hell. It always started up no matter what. I've had two minor wrecks in the car. And had to drive it with several problems. But it just won't die. There is always plenty of room. My stepdad who is 6ft 3inches use to drive it all the time.

15 years and counting!
By Dave S.

2000 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I never thought I would ever keep a car this long but my Avalon still checks almost every box. It continues to be the roomy, quiet and comfortable vehicle that I purchased new in 2000. Had a few (not major) maintenance issues in the eighth and tenth year. Since then reliability has been remarkable. And its exterior remains relatively bright and clean even though my old house has no garage or carport. I do wash it weekly and regularly change the oil. My two complaints are that the MPG has declined to 18 MPG in city driving. 24 MPG highway. And although the air conditioning has always worked great, it makes a short whistling sound every 15-20 minutes. Its annoying. This has gone on for over five years and Toyota cannot seem to figure out what to do to correct it.

One year update with my 2000 Toyota Avalon.
By hondaacura21

2000 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

It's been exactly a year since I bought my 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS from a private sale. I purchased it with 124,000 miles and its been very reliable with not a single problem. It is really impressive that my 13 year old Avalon still provides a silky smooth drive and is very quiet even compared to never cars. This Avalon is a "poor man's" Lexus. I drove 26K miles in this year: 450 miles a week due to work, a 1750 road trip from GA to TX, and 7000 miles of small mountain trips. Even with both leaky valve cover gaskets, leaky cam seals, old timing belt and water pump and blown struts this Toyota has never left me stranded and drove excellent.

Before I give this to my mom I will repair it.

The 1mz-fe V6 in my Avalon provides adequate but silky smooth power. As I mentioned before I am in love with the Avalon's silky smooth ride and a quiet demeanor. JBL is good. Gas mileage is also decent for a big V6 sedan around 28-29 mpg. From the outside the Avalon looks normal sized but inside it has abundant room. Steering wheel is really light so its easy in parking lots. RELIABILITY is the best in Toyota products. In a year I only replaced front brake pads and turned rotors (the backs are still ok) and these were original and bought new tires. I still need to take care of normal maintenance items mentioned above. Even at 150K it drives smoother then newer cars with half that mileage.

I don't have any complains about my Toyota Avalon but to satisfy this section of this review I will say that the handling is a bit loose and the steering is light even at highway speeds. Another minor issue is that the front seats don't even have seat back pockets behind them to place items.

The Mighty Avalon
By cardodger

2000 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my XLS used with 175,000 miles on it.
I was looking for reliability, safety, and a low payment vehicle that could help me while I paid of credit cards.
The car has been reliable, comfortable, and a pleasure to own.
Everyone wants me to do the driving when a group is going somewhere and no-one thinks it has the mileage that it does (200K+ now).
I keep getting the urge to look at other cars that might be more sporty or fun to drive but look at the reviews and issues with other cars and can't think of anything more fun than having had no problems at all with this terrific car.
I would recommend it to anyone who needs to drive - any distance...

reliability, comfort, smooth ride, quality build components both interior and exterior, low maintenance costs, fantastic air conditioning, and feeling coddled with luxury features for less than luxury prices.

none.