Used 2000 Toyota Avalon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Teflon Avalon
By gruitnower

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I have ever owned. I frequently look at these reviews about cars and wonder if they are biased towards Japanese cars. Well let me tell you, I just bought my Avalon with 108k on it and it drives like it only has 4 miles on it. Everything works flawlessly and it starts right up every morning. The look of this car is second to none, distinguished and stylish. I love the leather interior and the spacious trunk. I feel like I float to work instead of drive to work. The engine purrs like a kitten with no hitch on acceleration. This car puts ALL American mid size sedans to rest HANDS DOWN. the quality in workmanship is impeccable

Favorite Features

Power sunroof, leather interior, smooth shifting transmission, spacious trunk, JBL stereo, suspension and tight steering. Gas mileage is respectable for a car of its size.

Suggested Improvements

None.

200,000+ miles and still going strong
By emilylwallace

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This car has been in my family since its original purchase in 2000. The car was passed onto me in 2008 with 150,000 miles on it. It still drives like the day it was purchased. The interior cabin is dead quiet and the ride is incredibly smooth. It is fantastic for road trips, it gets about 30 mpg on the highway using regular fuel. It accelerates well for a car of its size. It handles well in snow, as long as you drive accordingly. It is incredibly reliable, it starts up right away every morning (even when it is 5 degrees outside). Also, the sound system is fantastic.

Not a bad car
By surman

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Roomy and comfortable. Fast and maneuverable. Some say it's "old people's car" but its fast, accelerates well. Interior and controls are well laid out.

Favorite Features

Quiet and soft ride. Inside as roomy as large American cars. Trunk is huge

Suggested Improvements

When shifter is in park, it obstructs lighter socket, cup holders are not deep enough, twin exhausts would be nice and steering wheel mounted controls for radio would be helpful

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Landtuna

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Wife's car but I drive it often. Had one service visit in ten years - dirty MAF sensor. Doesn't get any better than that. Does everything you'd want it to do in silence and comfort. Remarkably large cabin for a mid-sized vehicle. Trunk holds a ton of stuff too. JBL sound system is great. Visibility is outstanding (except as noted below). Wife gets 22 MPG (reg gas) around town. I get almost 30 on highway. Paint still looks like new. Only one small and insignificant rattle in almost 90K miles. I call it a Japanese Buick but its much better than a GM car.

Favorite Features

Quiet, large cabin with plenty of room for long-legged people. Engine & tranny work without noise or vibration.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility driver-to-inst-panel needs help. Steering wheel blocks speedo. Needs stiffer shocks/springs - car sags when fully loaded esp. in rear. Front seats could use a bit of added padding for long trips.

Great car.
By Mitzie

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new and most of the time I am the only driver. I put new tires on this past winter. The car is clean. Except for regular maintenance I have had very little trouble with this car. I replaced the water pump a few years ago and the brakes.

Favorite Features

I love this car.

Suggested Improvements

I cannot think of any.