2000 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
One year update with my 2000 Toyota Avalon.
By hondaacura21 on 03/23/13 21:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

It's been exactly a year since I bought my 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS from a private sale. I purchased it with 124,000 miles and its been very reliable with not a single problem. It is really impressive that my 13 year old Avalon still provides a silky smooth drive and is very quiet even compared to never cars. This Avalon is a "poor man's" Lexus. I drove 26K miles in this year: 450 miles a week due to work, a 1750 road trip from GA to TX, and 7000 miles of small mountain trips. Even with both leaky valve cover gaskets, leaky cam seals, old timing belt and water pump and blown struts this Toyota has never left me stranded and drove excellent. Before I give this to my mom I will repair it.

The Mighty Avalon
By cardodger on 02/25/13 11:12 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my XLS used with 175,000 miles on it. I was looking for reliability, safety, and a low payment vehicle that could help me while I paid of credit cards. The car has been reliable, comfortable, and a pleasure to own. Everyone wants me to do the driving when a group is going somewhere and no-one thinks it has the mileage that it does (200K+ now). I keep getting the urge to look at other cars that might be more sporty or fun to drive but look at the reviews and issues with other cars and can't think of anything more fun than having had no problems at all with this terrific car. I would recommend it to anyone who needs to drive - any distance...

Love it or leave it.......can't decide
By katahydem on 01/17/13 11:30 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for almost 13 years now and still am not tired of it. I'd like to get something else - different style vehicle but this car is paying me now. Gas mileage is better than any new car I've looked at and can still trust its reliability. There have been some problems, sensor issues most often but they've been manageable. We had some real wheel rust and had it taken care of. My car looks newer and better than a lot of newer cars out there.

They don't make them like this anymore.
By ncguy33 on 09/10/12 07:43 AM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used with 126000 miles on it. Now a few miles from 200000, I hav'nt had to do anything but oil changes to it. These 2000-2004 model Avalons are the last of the great Toyotas. The newer Toyotas quality cannot compare. There's no better used sedan out there, bar none.. from the comfort and the gas mileage to the realiability.

Best car I've ever had!!
By clatterpastor on 02/25/12 15:10 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Avalon with 92k miles on it. A friend had driven one from his father's car lot and remarked at what great gas mileage he got on a road trip. I drove it and bought it immediately. The road manners are what you would expect for a luxury sedan of this type; not sporty but "safe" feeling. I have driven it on 16-18 hour trips for years and was always comfortable (5'11" 180). Mileage had always been 28-29 hwy. and 20-22 city. We now have 236K on the car and have only done brakes once, timing belt, water pump and seals twice, replaced the sub-woofer and that's all! It has been the most reliable car I have owned and that includes Mercedes, Hondas, Lincoln and Ford. I plan to buy another!

Solid car
By jmacgregor87 on 06/22/11 13:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I live in the NW and this is my girlfriends car. She has owned it since day 1 of its life and takes good care of it. Miles; 126K Pros; Dirves great, good gas milage, stars every time, dependable, and is comfortable for long hauls. Cons; In the last 2 years things have started to break/fail. She has replaced the key ignition twice for 2 different reasons. Some rattles have started to show up, it is 10 years old. The sub-woffer has a short, we found out it's in the stereo it self.

Teflon Avalon
By gruitnower on 03/16/11 16:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I have ever owned. I frequently look at these reviews about cars and wonder if they are biased towards Japanese cars. Well let me tell you, I just bought my Avalon with 108k on it and it drives like it only has 4 miles on it. Everything works flawlessly and it starts right up every morning. The look of this car is second to none, distinguished and stylish. I love the leather interior and the spacious trunk. I feel like I float to work instead of drive to work. The engine purrs like a kitten with no hitch on acceleration. This car puts ALL American mid size sedans to rest HANDS DOWN. the quality in workmanship is impeccable

Fantastic Family Car
By mom_of_three3 on 03/11/11 22:39 PM (PST)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used (5 yrs old, in 2005)when I was 6 months pregnant with our first child. We've had NO issues with it at all. We've replaced one battery and two sets of wiper blades in the 5 1/2 years we've owned it, and it now has 210K on it. It's incredible, really. It's no longer when parked beside any other typical sedan (my in-laws had an Acura 3.2TL) but my mind finds it hard to understand where all the space inside comes from! My 6' tall husband can sit in the back seat with the front seats all the way back and his knees don't touch the front seats-we love that the backseat isn't just for the kids. Definately room for everyone in here!

200,000+ miles and still going strong
By emilylwallace on 03/06/11 08:07 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This car has been in my family since its original purchase in 2000. The car was passed onto me in 2008 with 150,000 miles on it. It still drives like the day it was purchased. The interior cabin is dead quiet and the ride is incredibly smooth. It is fantastic for road trips, it gets about 30 mpg on the highway using regular fuel. It accelerates well for a car of its size. It handles well in snow, as long as you drive accordingly. It is incredibly reliable, it starts up right away every morning (even when it is 5 degrees outside). Also, the sound system is fantastic.

Not what they used to be
By Bob on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Pros: Great fuel economy for the size. VERY comfortable interior. Interior cabin is huge. Tons of rear legroom ! Cons: Rides like a 1970 Lincoln Mark 5 but handles like one too. Getting ready to take it in for yet another Toyota recall. Sensors going bad left and right. 02 and air-fuel ratio sensors and now the air bag light started flashing. It is also starting to have electrical gremlins (lights flickering)I have owned several Toyotas in the past and the quality and reliability used to be 2nd to none. Man has that changed. Ever wonder why Ford is selling so many vehicles now ? Because they build a better vehicle...Wake up Toyota, you lost yet another customer.