1999 Toyota Avalon 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - So good, you will be

1999 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Review

XLS Sedan (3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic)

So good, you will be bored...
By deanstayton on

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

There is no doubt this is an incredible vehicle. It is smooth, reliable and fast (for a daddy sedan). It has many creature comforts and even gets 26 mpg. hwy consistently on 87oct. I drive a Platinum Ed. XLS and mile for mile this car has been the best used vehicle I have purchased (read- least expensive to maintain for the ride quality). Purchased in late 08 for 5900- w/113k miles. Clean as a whistle this is proving to be quite the deal. The mid-life crises sport coup-loving man bemoans the dull exterior looks and cushy drive. This inner teen wants to buy an RSX or TC, but I can not justify selling such a great car. The practical man in me loves every boring bit of this machine.

Favorite Features

1. Big things don't break. Outstanding engine/tranny performance and reliability. I love the firm-fitting, no-rattling, nothing-ever-leaking, htr/ac always on, seat warmer working Toyota quality. These are the cars that buried the domestic auto makers, and if you find one well cared for you understand.

Suggested Improvements

No doubt the exterior is generic personified. New Avalons have the cool quirky exterior goin' on-but not the 99. They are as plain as grandma's meatloaf. No spice or head turning wow. Just like the loaf-you can't complain. So if you buy one beware there will be no justifiable reason to ever upgrade.