Used 1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Forever friend
By mmars

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Toyota Avalon Platinum XLS in 2006. It had 99000 miles on it and this did not cause me alarm since I have had a Toyota Camry before. My Toyota Avalon now has 187,000 miles on it and is still running strong! I have had to put routine maintenence items, such as brakes, battery, tires, but other than that it is running like the day I bought it. I am looking at trading it off for something newer, not because I need to, just maybe wanting something newer. Trouble I am having is when I test drive other vehicles I am comparing it to my Avalon, so far all the "competitors" have lost. Gas mileage is still 24/28 hwy. Excellent choice and great car!

Smooth ride, leather seats, sunroof, dependability, good gas mileage for V6, low maintenence costs.

Improved body style

Too Reliable?
By 25 yrs Toyota

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Incredible car! Soft ride, low maintenance, good mileage. Only complaint - after 13 yrs of a gray 86 Camry and 11 yrs of this silver 99 Avalon, I feel the need for a change. Could be midlife issues. I need something bright and irresponsible. But seriously, GREAT CAR! Fits all sizes of people and luggage. Surprisingly good mileage for its size and comfort and I highly recommend it. That's what makes it hard for me to give up.

Space - headroom, legroom, hip room in front and back. Soft ride, good acceleration. Low maintenance cost. Good mpg with non-premium fuel.

A little late for 99 model. As someone else noted, many nice-to-haves didn't technologically exist in 1999. One flaw, corrected I think in 2000 was lack of cup holders and ac/heat vents in back. Serious miss since size of backseat area makes this a prime car for groups not wanting a minivan.

Excellent car
By rosignol

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Purchased with ~98,000 miles on it, put ~20,000 more on it over two years. In that time, I had no mechanical problems with it at all- the car might as well have been new. It's not the most exciting car to drive- I nicknamed mine the 'boringmobile'. Pros: extremely reliable, good mileage, Cons: suspension feels a little mushy and the handling is only adequate. But it's a sedan, not a sports car, so that's okay. Unfortunately, the car was totaled in a collision with a Chevy Tahoe. The Toyota engineering team does good work, I was not injured (nor was anyone in the Tahoe). I start looking for another Avalon this weekend.

Reliability, mileage, amenities, roomy interior (I'm 6-6, and fit comfortably), spacious trunk.

Stiffer suspension, tighter handling, thicker windshield glass.

So good, you will be bored...
By deanstayton

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

There is no doubt this is an incredible vehicle. It is smooth, reliable and fast (for a daddy sedan). It has many creature comforts and even gets 26 mpg. hwy consistently on 87oct. I drive a Platinum Ed. XLS and mile for mile this car has been the best used vehicle I have purchased (read- least expensive to maintain for the ride quality). Purchased in late 08 for 5900- w/113k miles. Clean as a whistle this is proving to be quite the deal. The mid-life crises sport coup-loving man bemoans the dull exterior looks and cushy drive. This inner teen wants to buy an RSX or TC, but I can not justify selling such a great car. The practical man in me loves every boring bit of this machine.

1. Big things don't break. Outstanding engine/tranny performance and reliability. I love the firm-fitting, no-rattling, nothing-ever-leaking, htr/ac always on, seat warmer working Toyota quality. These are the cars that buried the domestic auto makers, and if you find one well cared for you understand.

No doubt the exterior is generic personified. New Avalons have the cool quirky exterior goin' on-but not the 99. They are as plain as grandma's meatloaf. No spice or head turning wow. Just like the loaf-you can't complain. So if you buy one beware there will be no justifiable reason to ever upgrade.

Avalon's a Keeper
By nbeiii

1999 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my wife (5k-10k miles/year). Now it's my commuter car (25k+ per year; mostly highway but hard-driving miles). Getting high 20's gas mileage. Comfortable, very reliable, very stable (once I had struts & strut mounts replaced) - even at 70-85 mph. Perfect size (smaller than new Avalons) - small enough to get in & out wherever I need to go, big enough to be comfortable & feel safe. Currently 125k miles; I expect 200k+. The car is worth more to me than trade value. Back seat not huge, but not cramped. Large trunk. Strut mounts were the only significant non-wear repairs I have made. If you can buy a well-maintained one for cheap, do it. It will hold up.

Size of car. Interior comfort. Tightness of ride.

Make new ones just like this.