1999 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Forever friend
By mmars on 09/05/11 04:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Toyota Avalon Platinum XLS in 2006. It had 99000 miles on it and this did not cause me alarm since I have had a Toyota Camry before. My Toyota Avalon now has 187,000 miles on it and is still running strong! I have had to put routine maintenence items, such as brakes, battery, tires, but other than that it is running like the day I bought it. I am looking at trading it off for something newer, not because I need to, just maybe wanting something newer. Trouble I am having is when I test drive other vehicles I am comparing it to my Avalon, so far all the "competitors" have lost. Gas mileage is still 24/28 hwy. Excellent choice and great car!

Too Reliable?
By 25 yrs Toyota on 08/11/10 16:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Incredible car! Soft ride, low maintenance, good mileage. Only complaint - after 13 yrs of a gray 86 Camry and 11 yrs of this silver 99 Avalon, I feel the need for a change. Could be midlife issues. I need something bright and irresponsible. But seriously, GREAT CAR! Fits all sizes of people and luggage. Surprisingly good mileage for its size and comfort and I highly recommend it. That's what makes it hard for me to give up.

Excellent car
By rosignol on 05/26/10 13:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Purchased with ~98,000 miles on it, put ~20,000 more on it over two years. In that time, I had no mechanical problems with it at all- the car might as well have been new. It's not the most exciting car to drive- I nicknamed mine the 'boringmobile'. Pros: extremely reliable, good mileage, Cons: suspension feels a little mushy and the handling is only adequate. But it's a sedan, not a sports car, so that's okay. Unfortunately, the car was totaled in a collision with a Chevy Tahoe. The Toyota engineering team does good work, I was not injured (nor was anyone in the Tahoe). I start looking for another Avalon this weekend.

So good, you will be bored...
By deanstayton on 10/19/09 18:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

There is no doubt this is an incredible vehicle. It is smooth, reliable and fast (for a daddy sedan). It has many creature comforts and even gets 26 mpg. hwy consistently on 87oct. I drive a Platinum Ed. XLS and mile for mile this car has been the best used vehicle I have purchased (read- least expensive to maintain for the ride quality). Purchased in late 08 for 5900- w/113k miles. Clean as a whistle this is proving to be quite the deal. The mid-life crises sport coup-loving man bemoans the dull exterior looks and cushy drive. This inner teen wants to buy an RSX or TC, but I can not justify selling such a great car. The practical man in me loves every boring bit of this machine.

Avalon's a Keeper
By nbeiii on 10/01/09 13:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my wife (5k-10k miles/year). Now it's my commuter car (25k+ per year; mostly highway but hard-driving miles). Getting high 20's gas mileage. Comfortable, very reliable, very stable (once I had struts & strut mounts replaced) - even at 70-85 mph. Perfect size (smaller than new Avalons) - small enough to get in & out wherever I need to go, big enough to be comfortable & feel safe. Currently 125k miles; I expect 200k+. The car is worth more to me than trade value. Back seat not huge, but not cramped. Large trunk. Strut mounts were the only significant non-wear repairs I have made. If you can buy a well-maintained one for cheap, do it. It will hold up.

Great Vehicle
By Silver Ride on 07/25/09 13:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Great and reliable vehicle. I drive 40k miles per year and only mechanical issue was to replace a starter once. I expect to get another 150k miles. One negative is I have had to replace the struts twice . I wish I had seen this page years ago as I had front noise for years that turned out to be the front strut holder that I finally had diagnosed and replace. Also the only safety issue is that the vehicle does not require you to put it in park first before you remove the key so that the vehicle could roll if you forget to put it in the park position.

Avalon '99
By howard hurtig on 07/05/09 13:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Great car; no trouble except for a dead battery after 8 years of ownership and a failed starter after 6 years of ownership.

Roomy Toyota Sedan
By BigGuy on 02/08/09 13:22 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I'm 6'7", needed lots of head and leg room, and got it the Avalon. It has all the get up and go I ever needed. Now that it's broken in at 140,000 miles, it gets 30 mpg on the highway; what a nice surprise. Maintenance costs have been half of our other vehicle, a 2003 Chrysler T&C.

As good as any new car
By steve'savalon on 10/20/08 10:57 AM (PDT)

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought when 9 months old with 13,000 miles. Now have 118,000 and runs like new. 25 mpg commuting, 31 hwy. Replaced struts at 75,000, front brakes 75,000 and front brakes 115,000. That's the only maintenance besides timing belt at 90,000. I cannot get excited about paying $35+ for a new car that isn't any better than this. Hope to see over 200,000+ before I would consider changing.

99 Avalon Review
By 1999Toyota Avalon on 02/25/08 14:58 PM (PST)

1999 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

This 99 Toyota Avalon has been a joy to own. I purchased it with 29,000 miles. In the 1 1/2 years that I have owned this vehicle I have experienced a wonderful ride, no problems and great to handle. I am very satisfied with my Toyota.