Seriously this car is almost as old as me
By carenthusiast7 on
1998 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan
I'm 18 and a serious car enthusiast and this was my first car when my dad handed it down to me when i got my license @ 15 and a half(had 150k miles on it). Of course it isn't exactly my choice of a car and I made a bet with my father that if the car died we would get a replacement car of my choice(reasonably priced of course). And I'm still losng that bet, that car has not died at all or shown signs of even slowing down. Sum of it all, you can't go wrong with this car if you need a used cheap low maintainence car for just point A to point B.
Favorite Features
Pros: Comfortable, very spacious with tons of space to store anything you need. Even as a used, power will suffice for freeway use still. Very safe car and extremely reliable. Cons: Gas mileage is in the neighborhood of 19 to low 20s. Handles like a cruiseship, but it should be able to make a U-turn still at lights. There is chassis sway when you are taking corners so it might be uncomfortable at those points.
Suggested Improvements
If you intend to keep this car for a long period of time I suggest a slightly stiffer suspesion to make more sharper U-turns in neighborhoods to avoid 2 point turns and such. Other than that, the car should be good as is.