Avalon: Like Cruisin' on Catalina
By jdog on
1998 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan
I really enjoy the Avalon. This car gets a solid 25 mpg without sacrificing performance. I can turn off overdrive and step on it going up mountain passes and around slower traffic and the V-6 responds really well. The ride is smooth and the interior sits six adults comfortably. I've taken road-trips with four other adults without any complaints about space or comfort. The only problem I've had is that the brakes have a pernicious squeal on this model that was not corrected by the new brake pads that the dealer installed. I think that this was corrected on later models. Overall, I think my Avalon is an excellent cruising sedan.
Favorite Features
Turning on the cruise control and stereo and kicking back for the long-haul on a road-trip. I also enjoy the Yakima racks that I installed which can hold my surfboard and kayaks. Hell, who needs an SUV anyway?
Suggested Improvements
Take care of the squeal in the brakes (I think this was done in later models). Better push-buttons on the factory installed stereo. Also, the paint seems to chip easily.