1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
I love my AVALON
By logan clark on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I love this car and would have to say that bringing it home reminds me of when my father brought home his ultimate car- a 1962 Cadillac(the one with the big fins)- he was so thrilled and excited and so am I. It is stylish, posh, and comfortable as well as practical and fun to drive. The ride is like floating on a cloud with no sound. It drives like a dream and all you hear inside is the great sound system. This is my ultimate car and will probably be my last car as I plan on keeping it for a long time.

What a car!
By R. Hutton on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I never really thought that we would be able to afford a car as luxurious as the Toyota Avalon. Well, it turns out we can, although the car we bought was pre-owned. The amenities in this car are fabulous. It has everthing, at a price that was truely affordable. I hope that we continue to be as happy with it as we are now.

Muy Bien!
By $am on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

My 98' xls is the best car i have ever invested in. I enjoy the performance the most by far. I have taken it to speeds exceeding 140 mph and it rode great! i floor it everywhere i go and it drives the same as the day i bought it. It has 110,000 miles and the only problem i had was the front strut towers. I think thats from the off road adventures.

A reliable, comfortable and plain car.
By jrender on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

The car is spacious reliable and well built, yet the styling is plain. I dont like the buick style bench seat. But the back is spacious and the car is of good quality. good trunk space.

Toyota Losing Touch
By 4thToyota on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

This was my 4th Toyota, and a real dog. Extremely poor design, fit and finish. Interior body panels coming apart (have never seen that in any vehicle). Heavy driver side door pulled the hinge screw off the chassis! Brake's failed at 30,000 miles. etc. etc. Also avoid Montclair Acura, they had the gall to ask for $880 for a set of 4 tires!

Fun Luxury!
By Scottyinco on 10/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

My vehicle has been totally trouble free for the 30,000 miles I've owned it (now has 77K miles). Very comfortable, lots of power.

Avalon: Like Cruisin' on Catalina
By jdog on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I really enjoy the Avalon. This car gets a solid 25 mpg without sacrificing performance. I can turn off overdrive and step on it going up mountain passes and around slower traffic and the V-6 responds really well. The ride is smooth and the interior sits six adults comfortably. I've taken road-trips with four other adults without any complaints about space or comfort. The only problem I've had is that the brakes have a pernicious squeal on this model that was not corrected by the new brake pads that the dealer installed. I think that this was corrected on later models. Overall, I think my Avalon is an excellent cruising sedan.

The Good and Bad... mostly Good
By IrvineGuy on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

This car excels in being reliable, dependable, and performance. It has good visibility with no measurable blind spots. Seats seem to be made for smaller framed people. Feels like I'm sitting on a stool. Right elbow doesn't reach the armrest in the drivers position. I rated the quality a 7, even though I think the engine quality is excellent, the exterior quality of the metal is weak. A slight tap on the panels will create a dent.

The Avalon--a Great Car
By Pollyclaire on 04/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

The only thing I don't like about my Avalon is the seat belts. They cut across my neck and are too tight. The back seat ones are especially bad.

My experience.
By wavrunr on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Most comfortable and well performing car I have ever owned.