1998 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Recall for sludge
By vicky on 01/07/05 01:15 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

At around 113000 miles their is a oil gel/sludge in the engine below the valves. At 131340 miles there was dried oil in the form of coffee grinds in the internal oil screen that filters the oil inside the oil pan cover. WHEN OIL LIGHT comes on at 131340 miles HAVE IT TOWED to your closest dealer or you will be paying for a new engine. Make sure you tell the Service Manager NO ONE IS TO DRIVE IT or let it run at idle. Or you will have major internal engine damage. I was not notified by the manufacture that there was a recall for sludge ... so if it is smoking that could be the sign that it has an oil gel problem and it is covered by the manufacture. At 131300 miles changed front springs.

Not as good as the Camry
By Andrew on 12/27/04 21:57 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

The tires that came with the car went out at 12,000 miles. The second set went at 24,000 miles. The present set has last since 24,000 miles to 49,000 miles. Beleive maintance at the dealership was bad. Toyota company did not listen to my complaints. This is my thrid Toyota since 1980 and will oit deal with this dealer on my next one. Do not think his maintance department is up to par. Am looking for a different car than a Toyota. Lost 2 miles per gallon after first set of tires were changed.

spacious ride
By petras on 12/02/04 20:32 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

The xls has a nicely appointed, spacious interior yet exterior dimensions are fairly modest. mileage is around 21/30 city/hwy. Overall reliablily is very good although watch for noisy front suspension due to bad strut support mounts, $400 to fix, also my car has some occasional squeaks/rattles from glovebox area, I definitely would buy an avalon again.

Auto Climate Control - Beware!!!!
By mfoster on 11/29/04 13:59 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

As others in this forum, burned by auto climate control to the tune of $1,050. No choice but to replace, as the car is not realistically driveable without the a/c, heating, defrost systems working. I guess several people have to die before anything is recalled. Front strut noise also as others report. Catalytic converter went out and one dealer wrongly diagnosed as a broken ring, needing a $5,000 repair. Second dealer correctly diagnosed and repaired under original powertrain warrenty. Steering wheel cover has peeled off. If you are looking to buy, I would insist the seller correct these issues first. Car is roomy and will get up & go.

Auto climate control /Beware
By nov1853 on 09/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I have been quite happy with my XLS after having purchased used with 70k miles. However I was very disappointed with Toyota design with Auto Climate Control. Servo motor on blower system went out due to design flaw admitted to by Toyota in a technical service bulletin which directed dealers to replace entire workings of Auto Climate control system when $35.00 servo motor failed. (Cost me $1000.00)I was forced to replace entire system. Toyota incidentally redesigned entire system for 1999 model years but would not back up 1998 defective system. Shame on you for sticking it to us 1998 owners.

1998 avalon
By nonfib on 08/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Aside from the road noise, there has not been a complaint about the car in the five years we have owned it.

love my Avalon
By Kathyjj29 on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

In the four years I've owned the Avalon, it has not needed a single repair. We bought it at 20,000 and besides oil changes, the only money we've put into it was at the 60,000 mile check-up. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Ava, the Avalon
By Danielle J on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I love my Avalon. It's not the most flashy car out there, but dollar for dollar, it is absolutely the most reliable!

THE AWESOME AVALON!
By WAVESURFERX on 06/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

DRIVING THE AVALON XLS HAS BEEN A GREAT EXPERIENCE. THE CAR IS QUIET, QUICK, LOOKS GOOD AND IS VERY COMFORTABLE. HOWEVER I AM GLAD THAT I PURCHASED THE EXTENDED WARRENTY BECAUSE IT PAID FOR ITSELF DUE TO STRUT AND AIR CONDITIONER/BLOWER PROBLEMS. IF YOU WANT LUXURY AT A REASONABLE PRICE GET AN AVALON. PS - THE TRACTION CONTROLL SAVED MY BUTT MORE THAN ONCE!

98 Avalon XLS
By jad0110 on 05/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

We have 146,000 miles on our Avalon and we have enjoyed every mile. The car is very solid safe, my wife was T-boned at 20 mph in the center of the doors and there was NO frame damage. We especially enjoyed the high quality materials of the interior - a Lexus for less $. The back seat is limo spacious, but at the sacrifice of some trunk space. Overall, a great car if you value luxury over sport. Just keep the oil changed every 3,000 miles (very important!) and expect years of reliable transportation.