1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Holy crap, this car is too damn reliable
By carboy1993 on 09/14/11 01:27 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

im 17 years old.This car is my first car last year. its like that first practice car that u usually bang up. well i havent hit anything yet but my god is this car reliable. we bought it when it back in 2003 with 116k on it in PERFECT condition.now its kinda of banged up, radio buttons falling off, etc, but it just WONT DIE. my mom drove it 160 miles a day at one point, and i drive it about 40-50 as of now(and i dont drive it nicely), its close to 220k. im getting an acura tl, but if it wasnt for the cars body falling apart and the [violative content deleted] acceleration,id be sad about this departure. im just mad at my parents because they said were gonna sell after the time belt wears out :(

This car just wont die!
By davidvnyc on 01/30/11 15:02 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 98 Avalon XLS in 2003 with 150,000 miles on it. At about 180k miles I changed the front two 02 sensors. At 220k miles I changed the timing belt (first time), water pump, struts and ball joints. Other than these item’s I’ve only had to do standard fluid changes, tires and brakes. About 2 years ago, I came too close to a guard rail and scraped the right side of the car. Because the car had 340k miles on it at the time, I chose not to spend the 600 to repair the damage. The car now just broke though 400k and while it doesn’t look as good as when I bought it, it still runs perfectly and zero operational issues. I have my eye on a new car, but my wife will not let me pull t

Simply The Best!
By Brian on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

This road warrior has been in my family since new. My father put the first 150,000 miles on the car without any needed repairs except routine wear and tear parts (i.e. Brakes, tires, battery, oil). Now the odometer reads 250,000 miles and I just had the original timing belt and water pump replaced because it was LONG overdue. In the 12 years and 250,000 my family has put on our Avalon (a.k.a "Road Warrior") it has never, not even one time, left us stranded or failed to start, not once!! With the long history that I have with my Avalon I feel more than qualified to speak on the behalf of my car, and I fully endorse this car without reservation! If you have the opportunity to buy one, do!

Great car, Great price.
By Dylon on 08/08/10 13:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Picked up the 98' Avalon only a few months ago, came with 150,000 km on it, I put on about 10,000 km. Still works perfectly. Absolutely no problems. Only complaint is that my old car was a '92 Camry, it was a cute little car, but it was fun to drive. This one seems a little stiff. Pretty good on gas I guess, I am getting about 23 Mpg city. And the car doesn't have that outdated look to it. The rear looks really modern, love the sunroof, and the headlight cleaners is the cherry on top. Never selling.

Most Comfortable Car I've Ever Owned!
By Evan D. on 04/23/10 16:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS in December of 2005. I loved it from the first day I drove it. It's ride is very comfortable and the V6 gives it plenty of power. All in all, this car is very reliable and a great car to travel in.

Taking a beating, but still ticking
By Bill on 04/22/10 08:07 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I love my 98 Avalon Love my JBL sound system. Great for tail gating and travel. Especially for travel because of road noise, which is still an issue for the newer models. I had two major issues with mine. The air conditioning sensor went bad and in 2004 engine was rebuilt due to sludge damage. Good news both were covered by Toyota. I’ve owned a Corona, Corolla, Land Cruiser, and Avalon. Favorite model was my Corolla. I don’t think I will have to buy a new car if my Avalon keeps running as good as it has the last 6 years!

She is 11 years old
By Luvs2run on 03/08/10 16:40 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

and very reliable. I've done regular oil changes and semi scheduled maintenance. NO problems. Had an oil leak after a Jiffy lube oil change. Found local mechanic who fixed oil leak for $120. Dealer claimed needed to replace $2800 worth of parts. No one seemed to be able to find it except for one local Toyota Repair tech. Had pan for oil drips in garage for a year until I found Mr. wonderful. Car is so reliable, paid for and still a very nice looking car. I won't part with it until it blows up.

Peg's Avalon
By Peg's Avalon on 11/28/07 07:26 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Enjoy driving my car. Do both in-town and out-of town driving. Have maintained regular service with Toyota dealer in area. Replaced 4 tires within last year. No major mechanical problems. Cloth seats.

Second Toyota/More to Come
By patoconnor on 01/22/05 13:05 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Traded an '87 Toyota Cressida on the '98 Avalon. The Cressida was still an excellent car, but husband wanted front-wheel drive after we moved to Denver. The Avalon, though not as sexy as the Cressida, has been rock-solid, comfy to drive, love the extra room afforded by column-shift, great power, perfect for long drives, smooth, no maintenance issues.

Recall for sludge
By vicky on 01/07/05 01:15 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

At around 113000 miles their is a oil gel/sludge in the engine below the valves. At 131340 miles there was dried oil in the form of coffee grinds in the internal oil screen that filters the oil inside the oil pan cover. WHEN OIL LIGHT comes on at 131340 miles HAVE IT TOWED to your closest dealer or you will be paying for a new engine. Make sure you tell the Service Manager NO ONE IS TO DRIVE IT or let it run at idle. Or you will have major internal engine damage. I was not notified by the manufacture that there was a recall for sludge ... so if it is smoking that could be the sign that it has an oil gel problem and it is covered by the manufacture. At 131300 miles changed front springs.