Used 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Most Reliable! Fantastic! Safe Car Ever
By jayvon97

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 98 Avalon in July of 2014 for $400 at the dealership I worked at. When I bought it, it had 178,000 miles exactly. It had some minor problems such as it needed tires, brakes, a tie rod, and a fog light bulb. I did a oil change the day I bought it, got tires 2 months later. Eventually the brakes started to grind so I replaced those to. I am a teenager and I have a heavy foot, and this car was very responsive. I would race my friends who had newer cars and this car never failed to let me down. It was my baby honestly and I even named it Snow White LOL! I sadly got into a accident with it in January and it was totaled with 191,348 miles. I cant wait till I can get another Avalon.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, V6 engine, comfortable leather interior, body styling, Just the car itself is amazing.

Suggested Improvements

I have no complaints what so ever, this car was perfect and would be perfect for a family or a first car.

Holy crap, this car is too damn reliable
By carboy1993

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

im 17 years old.This car is my first car last year. its like that first practice car that u usually bang up. well i havent hit anything yet but my god is this car reliable. we bought it when it back in 2003 with 116k on it in PERFECT condition.now its kinda of banged up, radio buttons falling off, etc, but it just WONT DIE. my mom drove it 160 miles a day at one point, and i drive it about 40-50 as of now(and i dont drive it nicely), its close to 220k. im getting an acura tl, but if it wasnt for the cars body falling apart and the [violative content deleted] acceleration,id be sad about this departure. im just mad at my parents because they said were gonna sell after the time belt wears out :(

Favorite Features

black leather seats

Suggested Improvements

more bass in radio, better physical build quality

This car just wont die!
By davidvnyc

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 98 Avalon XLS in 2003 with 150,000 miles on it. At about 180k miles I changed the front two 02 sensors. At 220k miles I changed the timing belt (first time), water pump, struts and ball joints. Other than these itemís Iíve only had to do standard fluid changes, tires and brakes. About 2 years ago, I came too close to a guard rail and scraped the right side of the car. Because the car had 340k miles on it at the time, I chose not to spend the 600 to repair the damage. The car now just broke though 400k and while it doesnít look as good as when I bought it, it still runs perfectly and zero operational issues. I have my eye on a new car, but my wife will not let me pull t

Favorite Features

Reliability, roominess, gas mileage, acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats could be a little deeper. Road noise is a little higher than other cars in it's class. It's not the best looking car.

Simply The Best!
By Brian

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

This road warrior has been in my family since new. My father put the first 150,000 miles on the car without any needed repairs except routine wear and tear parts (i.e. Brakes, tires, battery, oil). Now the odometer reads 250,000 miles and I just had the original timing belt and water pump replaced because it was LONG overdue. In the 12 years and 250,000 my family has put on our Avalon (a.k.a "Road Warrior") it has never, not even one time, left us stranded or failed to start, not once!! With the long history that I have with my Avalon I feel more than qualified to speak on the behalf of my car, and I fully endorse this car without reservation! If you have the opportunity to buy one, do!

Favorite Features

Return on investment! (250,000 almost maintenance free miles), smooth ride even with 250,000 on original struts and bushings, comfortable seats and legroom (i am 6'8" and i fit great) 29 MPG freeway with plenty of passing power! A/C ice cold even when 100' outside(colder then my dads 07 Cadillac)

Suggested Improvements

My car has 250,000 miles on it, it runs and drives like new!I would feel more confident driving it across the country than my dads 07 Cadillac with 40,000 miles on it. The only negative thing I could say is it goes through brake pads fast, since i started driving it anyway. My dad misses his Avalon!

Great car, Great price.
By Dylon

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Picked up the 98' Avalon only a few months ago, came with 150,000 km on it, I put on about 10,000 km. Still works perfectly. Absolutely no problems. Only complaint is that my old car was a '92 Camry, it was a cute little car, but it was fun to drive. This one seems a little stiff. Pretty good on gas I guess, I am getting about 23 Mpg city. And the car doesn't have that outdated look to it. The rear looks really modern, love the sunroof, and the headlight cleaners is the cherry on top. Never selling.

Favorite Features

The amount of ashtrays, headlight washers, leather seats, sunroof, power seats, and amazing AC.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders for the back seats, and easier way to program keyless entry, less stiff steering. Other than that, amazing car.