1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

1998 Avalon Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Smokin' engine... literally
By tallchris01

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this Avalon having owned another 1st generation Avalon. Didn't figure I'd need to have a PPI, but I should have gotten one. Turns out the engine was a smoker. Despite replacing the valve seals and spark plugs, it continued to smoke. Quickly re-sold it.

Favorite Features

Split seating up front, with a fixed center console. Sunroof! Ease of maintenance. Lots of legroom.

Suggested Improvements

I think I missed an engine recall. Oh well, it was 3 years ago.

Toyota, Need I say more?
By enigmadtop

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I take this car up to big bear with a full car (6 people, the center front armrest comes up and has a seatbelt underneath) and it has never broken down on me once. The ride going there is completely smooth cruising at 80 mph, even though the Avalon's engine has more than enough power to go over that even with a full car. It has no trouble getting up those steep hills and is my car of choice when driving up to the mountains every season. It also survived a trip all the way to Sonora in Northern California from San Diego with a very steep mountain to climb at the end as well. Again, the car did not disappoint. Would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for an extremely robust vehicle.

Holy crap, this car is too damn reliable
By carboy1993

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

im 17 years old.This car is my first car last year. its like that first practice car that u usually bang up. well i havent hit anything yet but my god is this car reliable. we bought it when it back in 2003 with 116k on it in PERFECT condition.now its kinda of banged up, radio buttons falling off, etc, but it just WONT DIE. my mom drove it 160 miles a day at one point, and i drive it about 40-50 as of now(and i dont drive it nicely), its close to 220k. im getting an acura tl, but if it wasnt for the cars body falling apart and the [violative content deleted] acceleration,id be sad about this departure. im just mad at my parents because they said were gonna sell after the time belt wears out :(

Favorite Features

black leather seats

Suggested Improvements

more bass in radio, better physical build quality

Im Impressed
By iggy7

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

This is my first Toyota, and i bought this a few weeks ago. It has 230k miles on it and it drives great! It making a Toyota guy out of me.

Favorite Features

Reliability gas mileage peep

Suggested Improvements

nothing, does its job

Seriously this car is almost as old as me
By carenthusiast7

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I'm 18 and a serious car enthusiast and this was my first car when my dad handed it down to me when i got my license @ 15 and a half(had 150k miles on it). Of course it isn't exactly my choice of a car and I made a bet with my father that if the car died we would get a replacement car of my choice(reasonably priced of course). And I'm still losng that bet, that car has not died at all or shown signs of even slowing down. Sum of it all, you can't go wrong with this car if you need a used cheap low maintainence car for just point A to point B.

Favorite Features

Pros: Comfortable, very spacious with tons of space to store anything you need. Even as a used, power will suffice for freeway use still. Very safe car and extremely reliable. Cons: Gas mileage is in the neighborhood of 19 to low 20s. Handles like a cruiseship, but it should be able to make a U-turn still at lights. There is chassis sway when you are taking corners so it might be uncomfortable at those points.

Suggested Improvements

If you intend to keep this car for a long period of time I suggest a slightly stiffer suspesion to make more sharper U-turns in neighborhoods to avoid 2 point turns and such. Other than that, the car should be good as is.

This car just wont die!
By davidvnyc

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 98 Avalon XLS in 2003 with 150,000 miles on it. At about 180k miles I changed the front two 02 sensors. At 220k miles I changed the timing belt (first time), water pump, struts and ball joints. Other than these itemís Iíve only had to do standard fluid changes, tires and brakes. About 2 years ago, I came too close to a guard rail and scraped the right side of the car. Because the car had 340k miles on it at the time, I chose not to spend the 600 to repair the damage. The car now just broke though 400k and while it doesnít look as good as when I bought it, it still runs perfectly and zero operational issues. I have my eye on a new car, but my wife will not let me pull t

Favorite Features

Reliability, roominess, gas mileage, acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats could be a little deeper. Road noise is a little higher than other cars in it's class. It's not the best looking car.

Simply The Best!
By Brian

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

This road warrior has been in my family since new. My father put the first 150,000 miles on the car without any needed repairs except routine wear and tear parts (i.e. Brakes, tires, battery, oil). Now the odometer reads 250,000 miles and I just had the original timing belt and water pump replaced because it was LONG overdue. In the 12 years and 250,000 my family has put on our Avalon (a.k.a "Road Warrior") it has never, not even one time, left us stranded or failed to start, not once!! With the long history that I have with my Avalon I feel more than qualified to speak on the behalf of my car, and I fully endorse this car without reservation! If you have the opportunity to buy one, do!

Favorite Features

Return on investment! (250,000 almost maintenance free miles), smooth ride even with 250,000 on original struts and bushings, comfortable seats and legroom (i am 6'8" and i fit great) 29 MPG freeway with plenty of passing power! A/C ice cold even when 100' outside(colder then my dads 07 Cadillac)

Suggested Improvements

My car has 250,000 miles on it, it runs and drives like new!I would feel more confident driving it across the country than my dads 07 Cadillac with 40,000 miles on it. The only negative thing I could say is it goes through brake pads fast, since i started driving it anyway. My dad misses his Avalon!

Great car, Great price.
By Dylon

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Picked up the 98' Avalon only a few months ago, came with 150,000 km on it, I put on about 10,000 km. Still works perfectly. Absolutely no problems. Only complaint is that my old car was a '92 Camry, it was a cute little car, but it was fun to drive. This one seems a little stiff. Pretty good on gas I guess, I am getting about 23 Mpg city. And the car doesn't have that outdated look to it. The rear looks really modern, love the sunroof, and the headlight cleaners is the cherry on top. Never selling.

Favorite Features

The amount of ashtrays, headlight washers, leather seats, sunroof, power seats, and amazing AC.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders for the back seats, and easier way to program keyless entry, less stiff steering. Other than that, amazing car.

Most Comfortable Car I've Ever Owned!
By Evan D.

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS in December of 2005. I loved it from the first day I drove it. It's ride is very comfortable and the V6 gives it plenty of power. All in all, this car is very reliable and a great car to travel in.

Favorite Features

Extremely comfortable to drive in and has plenty of torque on the low end.

Suggested Improvements

The buttons on the stereo begin to pop out, and that kind of stinks.

Taking a beating, but still ticking
By Bill

1998 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I love my 98 Avalon Love my JBL sound system. Great for tail gating and travel. Especially for travel because of road noise, which is still an issue for the newer models. I had two major issues with mine. The air conditioning sensor went bad and in 2004 engine was rebuilt due to sludge damage. Good news both were covered by Toyota. Iíve owned a Corona, Corolla, Land Cruiser, and Avalon. Favorite model was my Corolla. I donít think I will have to buy a new car if my Avalon keeps running as good as it has the last 6 years!

Favorite Features

Exta Power button, and the JDL sound system!

Suggested Improvements

fix the road noise!