Used 1998 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

1998 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Smokin' engine... literally
By tallchris01

1998 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this Avalon having owned another 1st generation Avalon. Didn't figure I'd need to have a PPI, but I should have gotten one. Turns out the engine was a smoker. Despite replacing the valve seals and spark plugs, it continued to smoke. Quickly re-sold it.

Favorite Features

Split seating up front, with a fixed center console. Sunroof! Ease of maintenance. Lots of legroom.

Suggested Improvements

I think I missed an engine recall. Oh well, it was 3 years ago.

Toyota, Need I say more?
By enigmadtop

1998 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I take this car up to big bear with a full car (6 people, the center front armrest comes up and has a seatbelt underneath) and it has never broken down on me once. The ride going there is completely smooth cruising at 80 mph, even though the Avalon's engine has more than enough power to go over that even with a full car. It has no trouble getting up those steep hills and is my car of choice when driving up to the mountains every season. It also survived a trip all the way to Sonora in Northern California from San Diego with a very steep mountain to climb at the end as well. Again, the car did not disappoint. Would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for an extremely robust vehicle.

Holy crap, this car is too damn reliable
By carboy1993

1998 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

im 17 years old.This car is my first car last year. its like that first practice car that u usually bang up. well i havent hit anything yet but my god is this car reliable. we bought it when it back in 2003 with 116k on it in PERFECT condition.now its kinda of banged up, radio buttons falling off, etc, but it just WONT DIE. my mom drove it 160 miles a day at one point, and i drive it about 40-50 as of now(and i dont drive it nicely), its close to 220k. im getting an acura tl, but if it wasnt for the cars body falling apart and the [violative content deleted] acceleration,id be sad about this departure. im just mad at my parents because they said were gonna sell after the time belt wears out :(

Favorite Features

black leather seats

Suggested Improvements

more bass in radio, better physical build quality

Im Impressed
By iggy7

1998 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This is my first Toyota, and i bought this a few weeks ago. It has 230k miles on it and it drives great! It making a Toyota guy out of me.

Favorite Features

Reliability gas mileage peep

Suggested Improvements

nothing, does its job

Seriously this car is almost as old as me
By carenthusiast7

1998 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I'm 18 and a serious car enthusiast and this was my first car when my dad handed it down to me when i got my license @ 15 and a half(had 150k miles on it). Of course it isn't exactly my choice of a car and I made a bet with my father that if the car died we would get a replacement car of my choice(reasonably priced of course). And I'm still losng that bet, that car has not died at all or shown signs of even slowing down. Sum of it all, you can't go wrong with this car if you need a used cheap low maintainence car for just point A to point B.

Favorite Features

Pros: Comfortable, very spacious with tons of space to store anything you need. Even as a used, power will suffice for freeway use still. Very safe car and extremely reliable. Cons: Gas mileage is in the neighborhood of 19 to low 20s. Handles like a cruiseship, but it should be able to make a U-turn still at lights. There is chassis sway when you are taking corners so it might be uncomfortable at those points.

Suggested Improvements

If you intend to keep this car for a long period of time I suggest a slightly stiffer suspesion to make more sharper U-turns in neighborhoods to avoid 2 point turns and such. Other than that, the car should be good as is.