1997 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
chaikan
By oude on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

drive nicely and look nice too.

great car
By pphill on 08/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Great vehicle for comfort, power and economy. Performs well in mountains without downshifting on upgrades. Drives like a sportscar with flat, sure tracking and cornering. Maintenance is negligible and at 132,000 it still does not use any oil but has a very, very minor oil drip (probably from a valve cover gasket).

avalon97
By hewitt on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

have driven it to tah and back arizona and return nova scotia and back a delight to drive absolutely no problems

Great Car
By mcrews1407 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought at 40k, now have 175k. Lots of room, very comfortable after long trip. I am 6'3" and fit!!!!! Very reliable. Have regular maintanience done. Replaced strus and shocks at 100k. Alt. at 125K and rack and pinion at 175. Great engine and Trans. I run a 225/60 tire. a step up from the factory size. Helps handling.

most reliable car owned
By Jeanne E on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This car might not be the most exciting car I've owned, but it has been the most reliable and is still complelely reliable after 180000 miles and 8 years!

Lots of miles...Running Great
By BTH on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I liked it so much, I now own the 2001 model as well. The suspension problem (struts) mentioned in previous reviews was so common on the '97 that Toyota had a service memo to all delearships. My car was repaired (to my surprise)for no fee in 2000 by a toyota dealer after some frequent complaining on my part. That is the extent of my repairs. After 150,000 miles I'm selling the car almost regretably and would absolutely reccommend this Avalon to make it to 200,000 miles easy.

Nice car spoiled by junk suspension
By PMOT on 12/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Nice, but not exciting, car with cheap clunky suspension. I didn't expect sporting suspension, but rather, a nice quiet ride. But every bump brings a symphony of clunks and rattles from the front and rear suspension. Unacceptable in a car in this class (Hyundai Sonata does a better job). Great mileage with high test in the tank (30mpg @ 75-80 on the Mass Pike). Reasonable performance. The 3 disk CD changer gets "tired" after several hours of play. Looks like most of the other homely, expensive Japanese sedans (except for Nissan now). Should have kept looking for a Maxima SE! You should too!

Excellent Used Car
By dadjazz on 12/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car as a school commute vehicle for my son. It had 70,000 miles at purchase. It now has 105,000 miles with only a small strut mount problem that cost a couple of hundred bucks to fix. Excellent reliable transportation.

I wish I had a reason to buy a new car.
By Lance497 on 12/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Folks, there simply is no contest. This manufacturer builds every car - and EVERY PART to Lexus standards.

In love with my Avalon
By btc on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Great to travel in. Roomy & lots of leg room. Good gas mileage around town & on the interstate. 25-30 mpg. Comfort on long distance drives. Great service from this car.