1997 Toyota Avalon 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Wish I wasn't getting rid

1997 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Review

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Wish I wasn't getting rid of mine
By calimama on

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 92,000 miles on it several years ago, using it for commercial (livery) use and then driving from Massachusetts to California in it. I now have over 152,000 miles on it. I had to replace brakes/rotors as well as the shocks (which I didn't bother fixing for 4 years, actually), but absolutely trusted this car all the way (no major repairs, just routine stuff). Unfortunately, my husband crashed it recently, and would rather spend $7k on a Honda rather than $3k to fix the Avalon. I'm heartbroken, but we'll still hold on to it in our garage and perhaps fix it later.

Favorite Features

Love the engine (strong!!). People would always tell me good things about this car's reliability when they'd see it -and I can attest!! Smooth ride, although the shocks/strut seems to be a recurring problematic theme. VERY roomy all the way around, even with a baby seat in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Kind of a "grandpa" looking car, but who cares it is so reliable you will be as old as a grandpa and still using it!!