1997 Toyota Avalon Consumer Review: 97 Avalon

1997 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Review

97 Avalon
By jish on

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used for $3500 in 2006 with 207k miles, and it now has 243k miles. The car has been very reliable for me overall. I have done some preventive maintenance, such as change the original timing belt and water pump at about 220k miles (recommended to be done at 100k miles). The car did develop some squeaky noises in the front suspension, but this was fixed by replacing the strut mounts for about $250 including labor. Also, the front driver's window stopped rolling up and down for about 6 months (luckily it was stuck in the "up" position), but then magically starting working again. Overall, the car has been excellent. I look forward to driving it at least another 100k miles.

LOTS of space. Good handling for a large sedan. Very comfortable. Very reliable.

Better cup holders. Better stereo controls. Owner before me had to replace rack and pinion steering assembly and I had to replace strut mounts, both of which are notoriously bad on this car. If you decide to buy one, make sure seller has fixed these problems, or you will probably have to ($1200).