1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Original Owner
By carfooey on 04/08/08 06:02 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Few mechanical problems until recently. Within last year replaced rear wheel bearings, engine gasket, & alternator. Marginal paint job as it started peeling from around rear view mirrors at <80K miles. Strut noise has been there from day 1 off the lot (dealer made excuses too). Doors sagged quite early on, but work okay. Door remotes still work (!) although the buttons are about shot.

97 Toyota Avalon
By Eugene on 02/23/08 08:53 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I have been extremely pleased with this vehicle which has required only a minimum of maintenance. Oil and filter changed promptly at each 3,000 miles.

Nice luxury
By nice ride on 08/24/07 11:17 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Bought it used with 140k miles but still runs and looks like new with enough power from a smooth quiet 3.0 v6 engine.

Outstanding Car
By Elizabeth on 09/10/06 09:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used with 34,000 miles on it in 2001, now in 2006 it has 120,000 and shows no signs of wearing out anytime soon. Transmission glides, engine is strong, interior is elegant and comfortable and gas mileage is 31 on the highway. The trunk is huge and the seats feel like your sitting in your favorite chair at home. The only thing I've had done is regular repairs and the air conditioning was charged this year, that's it!

Bought used/drives new
By Todd on 04/06/06 14:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Since I purchased this car used I have had to replace the windshield wipers! That's it! Could not ask for a better reliable car. A friend had told me about a sludging problem that the v6s were having & had suggested I get the extended warranty which I did. It started to blow some light blue exhaust about 6 months after I had it. Took it into the dealer and they handled it & like I said, haven't had to do a darn thing to it (other oil changes & reg maintenance). Would recommend these cars to anyone.

horseys avalon
By horsey bjornsen on 08/31/05 20:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Very reliable vehicle, good in city and on the road. Excellent mileage. Somewhat noisy rear end, sort of a whining sound, noticeable only to regular driver. Only repair other than normal maintenance was replacement of transmission sensor; $350.

97 Avalon XLS
By rsnorwood on 04/06/05 21:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought new - now 85,600. Other than strut mounts as mentioned, and brakes, no major repairs. This car stinks in snow. I live on a hill and get stuck almost every snowstorm. Now shopping for an AWD sedan which is not easy to find in the 1st place - making it harder is trying to find one that doesn't seem like a compact car to me. If not for New England weather I'd keep it for a few more years.

97 AVALON
By Janina Deppe on 01/01/05 19:34 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Other than standard maintenance we have had little or no work done on this car. A few weeks ago we had our first problem (after six and a half years of owning the car) which was a rack and pinion issue and was corrected. We chose a bench instead of a bucket seat to get more seating which was important at the time of purchase but isnt a nice feature. The tan exterior and interior leather are not very attractive. I wish we opted for the wood trim and sunroof options as well. Excellent reliable car and my six foot seven cousin sat in the back seet and said it was the first time he could do that comfortably in any car!

Dependable with great value
By CISinger88 on 10/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

My mother bought hers used at 34,000 miles. Now has 167,000, and have had very few problems. Car handles reasonably well for a large car. Toyota 12 disc CD Changer in trunk stopped working at 45,000 after living on a gravel road, laser was scratched. Dealer warrenty was expired on electronics. I used the car for several road trips and was always comfortable - the climate control is great. Keyless entry stopped working at 99,000 - dealer had to recode the system for new remotes.

Toyota Avalon XLS Sedan
By jean martin on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

my toyota avalon has been very reliable vehicle. I am an insurance agent and drive my veh in business so I need a car that gets good mileage, dependable and comfortable. I have 150000 miles on my toyota and never had a problem. the only expense I have been out is up keep of the veh. I have enjoyed driving this vehicle more than any other vehicle I have owned.