Used 1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

97 Avalon
By jish

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used for $3500 in 2006 with 207k miles, and it now has 243k miles. The car has been very reliable for me overall. I have done some preventive maintenance, such as change the original timing belt and water pump at about 220k miles (recommended to be done at 100k miles). The car did develop some squeaky noises in the front suspension, but this was fixed by replacing the strut mounts for about $250 including labor. Also, the front driver's window stopped rolling up and down for about 6 months (luckily it was stuck in the "up" position), but then magically starting working again. Overall, the car has been excellent. I look forward to driving it at least another 100k miles.

Favorite Features

LOTS of space. Good handling for a large sedan. Very comfortable. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders. Better stereo controls. Owner before me had to replace rack and pinion steering assembly and I had to replace strut mounts, both of which are notoriously bad on this car. If you decide to buy one, make sure seller has fixed these problems, or you will probably have to ($1200).

Wish I wasn't getting rid of mine
By calimama

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 92,000 miles on it several years ago, using it for commercial (livery) use and then driving from Massachusetts to California in it. I now have over 152,000 miles on it. I had to replace brakes/rotors as well as the shocks (which I didn't bother fixing for 4 years, actually), but absolutely trusted this car all the way (no major repairs, just routine stuff). Unfortunately, my husband crashed it recently, and would rather spend $7k on a Honda rather than $3k to fix the Avalon. I'm heartbroken, but we'll still hold on to it in our garage and perhaps fix it later.

Favorite Features

Love the engine (strong!!). People would always tell me good things about this car's reliability when they'd see it -and I can attest!! Smooth ride, although the shocks/strut seems to be a recurring problematic theme. VERY roomy all the way around, even with a baby seat in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Kind of a "grandpa" looking car, but who cares it is so reliable you will be as old as a grandpa and still using it!!

Great car
By Paul

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

This is as nice a car as I ever need to own. The interior is roomy for its size. The ride is very comfortable, though it does not have a European road feel. The engine and transmission are very smooth and quiet. The interior is also quiet. I almost never requires repairs, mostly just routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine and transmission. Quiet interior.

Suggested Improvements

Overall, this car does everything right! Could have a slight bit more responsive handling. I wish it were available with a diesel engine.

Excellent value!
By Bert

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Just purchased for my college daughter - 150K miles - $4,250. Such a solid car. Very quiet, extra roomy, powerful V-6. As others have noted, it has suspension issues, sounds like a bucket of bolts on rough roads. Going in for suspension overhaul next week, should be set for another 100,000 miles. Little to no rust. Love the car! My wife and I own an '02 Avalon, so I was very happy to find a family-owned used one for my kid.

Favorite Features

Build quality, quietness, roominess, engine power and smoothness. Moon roof, stereo. Reliability can't be beat.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension issues. Tepid design, definitely has styling that appeals to grandparents.

1997 Toyota Avalons - 2 of them
By Legacy

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I liked my first Avalon so much that I bought another in 2000 and we've put 330,000 miles on the pair. Both are nicked up but they still run fine (2008). In 19 (combined) years of use I've had only ~$3,000 in repairs (other than an accident, tires and oil changes). Cons: Weak in snow. Steerling column leak (both cars - use sealing fluid). Goes through tires too quickly. Toyota's known for quality and reliability and that's exactly what I've experienced. In 2007 I purchased a 1986 Corolla that runs fine. I now need a 4th car and it will be a Toyota. I still feel that I made a solid purchase every time I start up one of my Avalons.

Favorite Features

Quality and reliability. Quiet and smooth ride (no noise as others have mentioned). Roomy and comfortable. Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Variable speed wipers. Improved steering column (leaks). Faux wood trim items on the second Avalon have flaked off.