1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Great daily driver
By germanbeer101 on 03/04/10 15:45 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

No it's not the prettiest car, nor the funnest to drive, but this Avalon now has 210,000 mi. of hard city/highway miles on it and has never seen a tow truck. I've replaced tires, brakes, belts and oil. The car has the original everything else, including the battery, spark plugs and even the muffler.

Over 200K
By Middletown Md on 06/25/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 30K miles and now have 220K on it. I also had a steering column leak on this car and my '98 Sienna... dealers wanted to replace column I used a steering fluid with a sealer and never had a problem since. Interior noise is a problem and plastic interior trim pieces coming loose... but those are mostly cosmetic. I will give this car to my son for college and keep for a few more years.

Not so reliable
By tom on 02/17/09 19:35 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Owned since new. Many disappointing problems. Very expensive considering the number of amenities. 60k - transmssion leaks. <100k, all steering components had to be replaced. Power steering pump had to be replaced twice. Tire wear is a huge problem! This car wears out tires in 20k miles, even top rated tires.

Great car
By Paul on 08/18/08 19:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

This is as nice a car as I ever need to own. The interior is roomy for its size. The ride is very comfortable, though it does not have a European road feel. The engine and transmission are very smooth and quiet. The interior is also quiet. I almost never requires repairs, mostly just routine maintenance.

Excellent value!
By Bert on 08/16/08 11:29 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Just purchased for my college daughter - 150K miles - $4,250. Such a solid car. Very quiet, extra roomy, powerful V-6. As others have noted, it has suspension issues, sounds like a bucket of bolts on rough roads. Going in for suspension overhaul next week, should be set for another 100,000 miles. Little to no rust. Love the car! My wife and I own an '02 Avalon, so I was very happy to find a family-owned used one for my kid.

Original Owner
By carfooey on 04/08/08 06:02 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Few mechanical problems until recently. Within last year replaced rear wheel bearings, engine gasket, & alternator. Marginal paint job as it started peeling from around rear view mirrors at <80K miles. Strut noise has been there from day 1 off the lot (dealer made excuses too). Doors sagged quite early on, but work okay. Door remotes still work (!) although the buttons are about shot.

97 Toyota Avalon
By Eugene on 02/23/08 08:53 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I have been extremely pleased with this vehicle which has required only a minimum of maintenance. Oil and filter changed promptly at each 3,000 miles.

Outstanding Car
By Elizabeth on 09/10/06 09:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used with 34,000 miles on it in 2001, now in 2006 it has 120,000 and shows no signs of wearing out anytime soon. Transmission glides, engine is strong, interior is elegant and comfortable and gas mileage is 31 on the highway. The trunk is huge and the seats feel like your sitting in your favorite chair at home. The only thing I've had done is regular repairs and the air conditioning was charged this year, that's it!

97 Avalon XLS
By rsnorwood on 04/06/05 21:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought new - now 85,600. Other than strut mounts as mentioned, and brakes, no major repairs. This car stinks in snow. I live on a hill and get stuck almost every snowstorm. Now shopping for an AWD sedan which is not easy to find in the 1st place - making it harder is trying to find one that doesn't seem like a compact car to me. If not for New England weather I'd keep it for a few more years.

97 AVALON
By Janina Deppe on 01/01/05 19:34 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Other than standard maintenance we have had little or no work done on this car. A few weeks ago we had our first problem (after six and a half years of owning the car) which was a rack and pinion issue and was corrected. We chose a bench instead of a bucket seat to get more seating which was important at the time of purchase but isnt a nice feature. The tan exterior and interior leather are not very attractive. I wish we opted for the wood trim and sunroof options as well. Excellent reliable car and my six foot seven cousin sat in the back seet and said it was the first time he could do that comfortably in any car!