Used 1997 Toyota Avalon XLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Great daily driver
By germanbeer101

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

No it's not the prettiest car, nor the funnest to drive, but this Avalon now has 210,000 mi. of hard city/highway miles on it and has never seen a tow truck. I've replaced tires, brakes, belts and oil. The car has the original everything else, including the battery, spark plugs and even the muffler.

Lights automatically turn off. Quiet cabin. Unbelievable reliability. Lots of power.

Cup holder needs re-engineered. Rear window defroster only works on one side now. But hey the car is almost 14 years old...

Over 200K
By Middletown Md

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 30K miles and now have 220K on it. I also had a steering column leak on this car and my '98 Sienna... dealers wanted to replace column I used a steering fluid with a sealer and never had a problem since. Interior noise is a problem and plastic interior trim pieces coming loose... but those are mostly cosmetic. I will give this car to my son for college and keep for a few more years.

Powerful car with good handling. I have a 40 mi 1-way highway commute and this car has saved my life 2X with good handling, good pickup and good visibility. I also like the roomier interior, rear leg room & larger trunk. I've it up with as much as a pickup can carry (including a moose head).

Too many issues with plastic trim coming loose.

Not so reliable
By tom

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Owned since new. Many disappointing problems. Very expensive considering the number of amenities. 60k - transmssion leaks. <100k, all steering components had to be replaced. Power steering pump had to be replaced twice. Tire wear is a huge problem! This car wears out tires in 20k miles, even top rated tires.

Outstanding brakes. 1st set lasted 110k miles! Good gas mileage and performance. Strong engine and transmission.

1. This is a joke: cruise cntl light is on ALL the time, even when not engaged. 2. No heated seat option, no heated mirror option, no seat adjust memory, BAD cup holder design. 3. Steering feedback must be better 4. Better reliability

Great car
By Paul

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

This is as nice a car as I ever need to own. The interior is roomy for its size. The ride is very comfortable, though it does not have a European road feel. The engine and transmission are very smooth and quiet. The interior is also quiet. I almost never requires repairs, mostly just routine maintenance.

Smooth engine and transmission. Quiet interior.

Overall, this car does everything right! Could have a slight bit more responsive handling. I wish it were available with a diesel engine.

Excellent value!
By Bert

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Just purchased for my college daughter - 150K miles - $4,250. Such a solid car. Very quiet, extra roomy, powerful V-6. As others have noted, it has suspension issues, sounds like a bucket of bolts on rough roads. Going in for suspension overhaul next week, should be set for another 100,000 miles. Little to no rust. Love the car! My wife and I own an '02 Avalon, so I was very happy to find a family-owned used one for my kid.

Build quality, quietness, roominess, engine power and smoothness. Moon roof, stereo. Reliability can't be beat.

Suspension issues. Tepid design, definitely has styling that appeals to grandparents.