1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
257,233 miles and going strong
By kas76051 on 03/13/10 16:46 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car when it had 85,409 miles on it. Have replaced struts, brakes, tires, keep the oil and all fluids changed according to Toyota specs/timings. This has been a great car, so much so I just gave it to my youngest daughter for college and I went out and found another great 97 Avalon XL with leather and sunroof. These cars will go the miracle mile if you do everything on a regular schedule, this is especially true of the timing belt--don't push past the 90K mile interval.

Great daily driver
By germanbeer101 on 03/04/10 15:45 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

No it's not the prettiest car, nor the funnest to drive, but this Avalon now has 210,000 mi. of hard city/highway miles on it and has never seen a tow truck. I've replaced tires, brakes, belts and oil. The car has the original everything else, including the battery, spark plugs and even the muffler.

Over 200K and still strong
By Drew on 01/04/10 17:07 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

My sister bought the car new in 97 and gave it to me last year. Today the car has a little over 200k. Theres no problem with the car except for the front right suspension which makes noise on bumpy roads (mentioned in other reviews).

Over 200K
By Middletown Md on 06/25/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 30K miles and now have 220K on it. I also had a steering column leak on this car and my '98 Sienna... dealers wanted to replace column I used a steering fluid with a sealer and never had a problem since. Interior noise is a problem and plastic interior trim pieces coming loose... but those are mostly cosmetic. I will give this car to my son for college and keep for a few more years.

Not so reliable
By tom on 02/17/09 19:35 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Owned since new. Many disappointing problems. Very expensive considering the number of amenities. 60k - transmssion leaks. <100k, all steering components had to be replaced. Power steering pump had to be replaced twice. Tire wear is a huge problem! This car wears out tires in 20k miles, even top rated tires.

97 Avalon
By jish on 11/20/08 22:39 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used for $3500 in 2006 with 207k miles, and it now has 243k miles. The car has been very reliable for me overall. I have done some preventive maintenance, such as change the original timing belt and water pump at about 220k miles (recommended to be done at 100k miles). The car did develop some squeaky noises in the front suspension, but this was fixed by replacing the strut mounts for about $250 including labor. Also, the front driver's window stopped rolling up and down for about 6 months (luckily it was stuck in the "up" position), but then magically starting working again. Overall, the car has been excellent. I look forward to driving it at least another 100k miles.

Wish I wasn't getting rid of mine
By calimama on 10/07/08 12:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 92,000 miles on it several years ago, using it for commercial (livery) use and then driving from Massachusetts to California in it. I now have over 152,000 miles on it. I had to replace brakes/rotors as well as the shocks (which I didn't bother fixing for 4 years, actually), but absolutely trusted this car all the way (no major repairs, just routine stuff). Unfortunately, my husband crashed it recently, and would rather spend $7k on a Honda rather than $3k to fix the Avalon. I'm heartbroken, but we'll still hold on to it in our garage and perhaps fix it later.

Great car
By Paul on 08/18/08 19:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

This is as nice a car as I ever need to own. The interior is roomy for its size. The ride is very comfortable, though it does not have a European road feel. The engine and transmission are very smooth and quiet. The interior is also quiet. I almost never requires repairs, mostly just routine maintenance.

Excellent value!
By Bert on 08/16/08 11:29 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Just purchased for my college daughter - 150K miles - $4,250. Such a solid car. Very quiet, extra roomy, powerful V-6. As others have noted, it has suspension issues, sounds like a bucket of bolts on rough roads. Going in for suspension overhaul next week, should be set for another 100,000 miles. Little to no rust. Love the car! My wife and I own an '02 Avalon, so I was very happy to find a family-owned used one for my kid.

1997 Toyota Avalons - 2 of them
By Legacy on 05/05/08 14:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I liked my first Avalon so much that I bought another in 2000 and we've put 330,000 miles on the pair. Both are nicked up but they still run fine (2008). In 19 (combined) years of use I've had only ~$3,000 in repairs (other than an accident, tires and oil changes). Cons: Weak in snow. Steerling column leak (both cars - use sealing fluid). Goes through tires too quickly. Toyota's known for quality and reliability and that's exactly what I've experienced. In 2007 I purchased a 1986 Corolla that runs fine. I now need a 4th car and it will be a Toyota. I still feel that I made a solid purchase every time I start up one of my Avalons.

1 2 3 4 5 next »