Used 1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Still running great!!
By SL

257,233 miles and going strong
By kas76051

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car when it had 85,409 miles on it. Have replaced struts, brakes, tires, keep the oil and all fluids changed according to Toyota specs/timings. This has been a great car, so much so I just gave it to my youngest daughter for college and I went out and found another great 97 Avalon XL with leather and sunroof. These cars will go the miracle mile if you do everything on a regular schedule, this is especially true of the timing belt--don't push past the 90K mile interval.

Quietness of this car is incredible, even after all these miles, not rattles, shimmy, or shake. Excellent mileage on the highway at 31 miles per gallon combined city and highway is 24 mpg. Reliability is the best I've had in any vehicle I've ever owned. Great car.

Great daily driver
By germanbeer101

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

No it's not the prettiest car, nor the funnest to drive, but this Avalon now has 210,000 mi. of hard city/highway miles on it and has never seen a tow truck. I've replaced tires, brakes, belts and oil. The car has the original everything else, including the battery, spark plugs and even the muffler.

Lights automatically turn off. Quiet cabin. Unbelievable reliability. Lots of power.

Cup holder needs re-engineered. Rear window defroster only works on one side now. But hey the car is almost 14 years old...

Over 200K and still strong
By Drew

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

My sister bought the car new in 97 and gave it to me last year. Today the car has a little over 200k. Theres no problem with the car except for the front right suspension which makes noise on bumpy roads (mentioned in other reviews).

Very roomy, big gas tank, comfortable.

none!

Over 200K
By Middletown Md

1997 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 30K miles and now have 220K on it. I also had a steering column leak on this car and my '98 Sienna... dealers wanted to replace column I used a steering fluid with a sealer and never had a problem since. Interior noise is a problem and plastic interior trim pieces coming loose... but those are mostly cosmetic. I will give this car to my son for college and keep for a few more years.

Powerful car with good handling. I have a 40 mi 1-way highway commute and this car has saved my life 2X with good handling, good pickup and good visibility. I also like the roomier interior, rear leg room & larger trunk. I've it up with as much as a pickup can carry (including a moose head).

Too many issues with plastic trim coming loose.