1997 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
257,233 miles and going strong
By kas76051 on 03/13/10 16:46 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car when it had 85,409 miles on it. Have replaced struts, brakes, tires, keep the oil and all fluids changed according to Toyota specs/timings. This has been a great car, so much so I just gave it to my youngest daughter for college and I went out and found another great 97 Avalon XL with leather and sunroof. These cars will go the miracle mile if you do everything on a regular schedule, this is especially true of the timing belt--don't push past the 90K mile interval.

Over 200K and still strong
By Drew on 01/04/10 17:07 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

My sister bought the car new in 97 and gave it to me last year. Today the car has a little over 200k. Theres no problem with the car except for the front right suspension which makes noise on bumpy roads (mentioned in other reviews).

97 Avalon
By jish on 11/20/08 22:39 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used for $3500 in 2006 with 207k miles, and it now has 243k miles. The car has been very reliable for me overall. I have done some preventive maintenance, such as change the original timing belt and water pump at about 220k miles (recommended to be done at 100k miles). The car did develop some squeaky noises in the front suspension, but this was fixed by replacing the strut mounts for about $250 including labor. Also, the front driver's window stopped rolling up and down for about 6 months (luckily it was stuck in the "up" position), but then magically starting working again. Overall, the car has been excellent. I look forward to driving it at least another 100k miles.

Wish I wasn't getting rid of mine
By calimama on 10/07/08 12:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 92,000 miles on it several years ago, using it for commercial (livery) use and then driving from Massachusetts to California in it. I now have over 152,000 miles on it. I had to replace brakes/rotors as well as the shocks (which I didn't bother fixing for 4 years, actually), but absolutely trusted this car all the way (no major repairs, just routine stuff). Unfortunately, my husband crashed it recently, and would rather spend $7k on a Honda rather than $3k to fix the Avalon. I'm heartbroken, but we'll still hold on to it in our garage and perhaps fix it later.

1997 Toyota Avalons - 2 of them
By Legacy on 05/05/08 14:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I liked my first Avalon so much that I bought another in 2000 and we've put 330,000 miles on the pair. Both are nicked up but they still run fine (2008). In 19 (combined) years of use I've had only ~$3,000 in repairs (other than an accident, tires and oil changes). Cons: Weak in snow. Steerling column leak (both cars - use sealing fluid). Goes through tires too quickly. Toyota's known for quality and reliability and that's exactly what I've experienced. In 2007 I purchased a 1986 Corolla that runs fine. I now need a 4th car and it will be a Toyota. I still feel that I made a solid purchase every time I start up one of my Avalons.

Nice luxury
By nice ride on 08/24/07 11:17 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Bought it used with 140k miles but still runs and looks like new with enough power from a smooth quiet 3.0 v6 engine.

Bought used/drives new
By Todd on 04/06/06 14:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Since I purchased this car used I have had to replace the windshield wipers! That's it! Could not ask for a better reliable car. A friend had told me about a sludging problem that the v6s were having & had suggested I get the extended warranty which I did. It started to blow some light blue exhaust about 6 months after I had it. Took it into the dealer and they handled it & like I said, haven't had to do a darn thing to it (other oil changes & reg maintenance). Would recommend these cars to anyone.

horseys avalon
By horsey bjornsen on 08/31/05 20:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Very reliable vehicle, good in city and on the road. Excellent mileage. Somewhat noisy rear end, sort of a whining sound, noticeable only to regular driver. Only repair other than normal maintenance was replacement of transmission sensor; $350.

avalon97
By hewitt on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

have driven it to tah and back arizona and return nova scotia and back a delight to drive absolutely no problems

most reliable car owned
By Jeanne E on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This car might not be the most exciting car I've owned, but it has been the most reliable and is still complelely reliable after 180000 miles and 8 years!