Used 1996 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Outperforms Most Newer Cars
By ddbates

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I love my 96 Avalon. I have had it for almost 2 years. In the course of this time it developed a significant oil leak and I thought it would cost an arm and a leg to fix. It was only $225 (including labor) to replace the crank shaft seal and since the timing belt is adjacent to it, that was replaced as well! I have replaced struts, tires, a control arm, a caliper, and have had it regularly maintained. The display lights are going out and the CD player and tape player no longer work but the radio does. It has 198,000 miles on it and is still running splendidly. When it is time for this gem to retire I would really like another Avalon.

I love the climate control, huge trunk, comfy seats, outside temperature display, the fact that there are no problems with "blind" spots, the roominess, and the leather seats. Most of all I greatly appreciate the reliability of this car.

A car that has this many miles and it and and has withstood the wear and tear that it has does not need any suggested improvements.

My first car!
By tineshaa

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

When I was a sophomore in high school I saved up $2200 and bought this car. When I bought it the dealership told me that the struts needed replaced. I had the car for 3 years. In that time, I replaced the struts, bushings, sway bar, had two brake jobs and bought 3 used tires to replace the ones it had. I pay for any luxuries in my life (this was a luxury to me) so I always bought the cheapest parts/labor. This may be why I kept having to get work done. I'm now a college sophomore, and 3 weeks ago while drive from school to home (120 miles- 3hrs), I ran off the highway and rolled the car. My car looked horrible but it kept me safe. I came out with one little scratch. Everyone was amazed at it

I ran off the highway and rolled the car, and it kept me perfectly safe. The EMS told me that it has a special cage feature that is there to keep people safe in the event of a roll. It did great. I didn't have any passengers with me, but the car was perfectly sturdy around where passengers would've been sitting (except the front passenger would've had a rolled up windshield in their face). I am so grateful for this car.

The CD setup didn't work for me, and it was inconvenient anyway.

Exceptionally Reliable Car
By honesty_1

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Toyota Avalon was a gift to me in 2002. The car at that time had approximately 60,000 miles. This car has been so reliable that I am still driving it shy of a decade later. I currently have over 307,000 miles and counting. I have had to do a bit of work on the engine (valve gasket covers etc) when the mileage reached around 280,000, but it's running on the same transmission. I liked this car so much until I had shipped from Mississippi to Washington State with 300,000 miles because I trusted its reliability. It hasn't let me down, but it may be in its last years. Can't complain with over 307,000 miles.

The CD disc changer could be better quality

Lost my Avalon - buying another
By SadtoLoseMyAvalon

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

In '00, was looking for a Camry and salesman pointed an Avalon out at an amazing price - which made me skeptical. Obviously, it's boxy look devalued the car. But this car is as great a ride as my Infiniti and my cousin's Lexus. So smooth. Never a problem. Such a quiet ride. Greatest steal of a car. Got it with 58k til 134k - never any major problem. And then one day, some old lady nailed my side T-boning it - and was shocked when they said it was 'totaled'. I was so sad. If I had the $$$ would have paid the difference out of my pocket. But buying another - cherish this vehicle. Test drive one - and you'll be hooked.

Beautiful, spacious, luxurious interior and such a smooth ride, with a very good gas mileage.

They already changed the body style - so nothing.

Best car i have ever had
By Norm Atwater

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This car was on a lease that a friend of mine turned in he bought a new Avalon. It had about 30,000 mi on it and i now have 207,000 and it is still a great car. Have only put on tires, R&l CV joints and new struts. Have done routine maintenance change transmission oil and eng oil every 4,000 and still get almost 30 MPG. I have no intention of buying a new car and would take it on a long trip today. I have had this car in Drive so much the bulb has burned out on the dash

Lots of room back & front

None