Used 1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Solid, comfortable, reliable, bland
By Dave N.

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in August of '96, with 13,300 miles on it. It now has 92,300 miles, so I have driven it 79,000 miles in 10.5 years - an average of 7,500 miles/year. The car has been utterly reliable; I've spent less than $5,000 in maintenance over the years I've owned it, including three sets of tires and an occasional detailing. That works out to less than 7 cents per mile. Most of its mileage has been around town (21 mpg) with a few long road trips (24 mpg). The Avalon is a comfortable car, and handsome in a bland sort of way. It's reasonably peppy, but not a road rocket. Overall, I've been very satisfied with this car and may well buy another Avalon someday.

Styling, roomy interior, comfort, reliability.

More horsepower (has been added on newer Avalons), tighter suspension, better sound system.

Still Like New
By mrosen3030

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car four years ago and it has been nothing but reliable for us. Starts easily even in bitter cold. We haven't had to do anything other than routine maintenance to this car. Smooth ride. Roomy backseat - three kids can fit easily (two with carseats). Nice trunk space. Ride has gotten a bit noisier through the years, but is not unacceptable for a ten year old car. We have about 170K on this right now and will keep it for as long as it will go. Our Camry had 250k on it when we finally sold that (was still running and in great condition), so we have high hopes for the Avalon.

The "power" button when extra power is needed in acceleration, the sun/moonroof.

Wish doors would lock automatically.

Fun to Drive
By NGustafson

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

The most dependable car I have ever owned. Fun to drive and a beautiful car. I hated to part with it and it made me a Toyota loyal person. I loved the spoiler on the car as well.

The design and size of car was ideal. It drives like a dream. Old faithful is what I call it. A pleaure to own.

The CD player needed improvement. It would get stuck. It has no automatic doorlock which I missed.

Very Reliable!
By DL

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Great running car. Roomy and very good visibility all around. This Toyota has been the family "work horse" for those everyday short trips to school and shopping. Comfortable, and quiet ride. Good gas mileage all around. I run 87 octane with no problems. Reasonable maintenance cost. Original owner... this is a keeper!

Nice looking car, good lines. Very good trunk space. Looks like a Lexus without paying the higher purchase price.

Better door protection. Door guard design is too low, so getting dings. Slight air leak around the front door passenger window when driving at freeway speeds. No rain coming in though. Heated outside mirrors would be nice.

review
By zazmau

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought it from a dealer with 1800 miles on it. In the shop for a rack and pinnion (?) and an oil leak and two windows stopped working. Both times $1000.+. Routine maintenance other than that. Not bad for over 200,000 miles in nine years. Always starts right up. Currently getting 30mpg hwy, 27mpg normal driving. Cup holders work fine for me. I only use the back seat for stuff. Wood grain areas sun damaged and peeled off. I am 5'3" with short legs so the seat length is too long for me and hits in the calf of the legs.I use a back cushion to keep me forward in the seat. Mechanic says the oxygen sensor needs replaced and I would get better mpg. How much better can it get? I will get 300,000 miles out of it.

sun roof, dependable, smooth ride, fuel economy, comfort

wind noise