1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
ABSOLUTLEY UNBELIEVABLE!!!
By Jon Buck on 02/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for a great deal, and love it! I have another Black 96 XLS Avalon that i bought for the wife, and loved the drive and luxurouisness (if thats a word) Its always a smooth drive no matter what the weather, has great miles/gallon and have never had a problem with either Avalon. It was time for a new car, as our son got his license, and i handed down my 89 Camry to him, It is still running as strong as it was when i bought it in 89. Toyota's are ultimately a great deal!

My first and favorite car
By viktoo on 01/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

awe struck evrytime i got behind the wheel. I am 19 year old college student and i was so fortunate when my dad gave me his used 96 Avalon XLS three years ago. An amazing acceleration coming from a 3.0 V6 engine that made me fall in love with this car. One of the nicest machines on the road that never wne in for an servicing execpt the 3000 mile oil change. Even though it is a great family car because it is extremelly spacious, even the young and youthful love it. If you buy it i am positive you will not go wrong. A great car, a great price.

Zero Problems
By Ft Worth Texas on 11/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

My wife has driven this car since new with zero problems. Just standard maintenance. The only problem I have with the car is that the wood trim fades and in a couple of places pealing. I guess not bad after nearly seven years.There are people that replace this aftermarket.

Avalon: 133k of Reliability & Value
By Isoka on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I've driven my Avalon for six years after buying it used, driving on a combination of high speed freeway and beat up lousy DC streets. The car is bulletproof. No mechanical problems at 133,000 miles. Never replaced timing belt. People get in the car, cross their legs in the back seat, and ask, "what is this car??" Used two different Toyota dealers over this time, but neither was worth a damn. Luckily the cars don't break, so you don't have to see them much.

Comfortable and safe
By college student on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

My dad recommended that I purchase this car for the long drives betw. college and home. It is a great highway car, averaging 28 mpg. It is a little to "luxury" for my tastes, but is an excellent car otherwise! Have had no mechanical problems the entire year I have owned it - which is rare in my car experience. Great pickup, smooth ride, wonderful handling ~ couldn't have asked for a more comfortable, safe, and dependable car!

Avalon worth a look
By TXToyota on 07/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

This is the first Toyota I've ever owned. I've been very satisfied with the reliablilty and performance of the Avalon. I'd buy another if the following were taken care of. The distributor/dealer network needs reworking.The distributor network adds after market accessories. The result is the 2 sticker system. The dealer network is substandard. In every case, they've produced substandard or incomplete at dealer prices. In short, the car was purchased based on Consumer Reports testing. They were right on. You can drive it with just changing oil, air filters, and timing belts and probably drive for 200,000+ miles.

Avalon Troubles
By hat7e on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I had a few, but significant problems with the avalon. The transmission needed to be replaced after 3 years, 80,000 miles. Which unfortnately came after warranty coverage. The problem has now come back requiring complete replacement again. Otherwise the car has run great, great highway cruising. If you can find one is good shape I would recommend buying one. I think my problem is atypical.

Avalon 1996
By j.p. sr. on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

One of the best cars we have ever owned