Used 1996 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

review
By zazmau

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought it from a dealer with 1800 miles on it. In the shop for a rack and pinnion (?) and an oil leak and two windows stopped working. Both times $1000.+. Routine maintenance other than that. Not bad for over 200,000 miles in nine years. Always starts right up. Currently getting 30mpg hwy, 27mpg normal driving. Cup holders work fine for me. I only use the back seat for stuff. Wood grain areas sun damaged and peeled off. I am 5'3" with short legs so the seat length is too long for me and hits in the calf of the legs.I use a back cushion to keep me forward in the seat. Mechanic says the oxygen sensor needs replaced and I would get better mpg. How much better can it get? I will get 300,000 miles out of it.

Favorite Features

sun roof, dependable, smooth ride, fuel economy, comfort

Suggested Improvements

wind noise

Excellent Workhorse
By tOMfOOL

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

While this car would not be considered a "workhorse" like a truck or whatever, it is a fantastic car for a salesman who has to cover a huge territory in all weather and have a car that looks good. Even though the car now looks somewhat outdated, it has kept its snazzy appearance quite well -- especially as compared to some of the Pontiacs and Fords I've seen. The car has 125,000 miles on it and EVERYTHING still works as well as it did when it was new: windows, doors, sunroof, cupholder and yes, the TAPE PLAYER and CD. I'm truly amazed at how many other cars I've seen (like my friend's Malibu) that never made it past the first 5 years. My Avalon still feels like a new BMW -- no joke!

Favorite Features

Peppy engine! Sounds great and is still very powerful. I think it's finally come into its break in period. The dash is awesome. Even after I got rear-ended the trunk, and all the doors, etc. close nicely and feel tight and seal against the elements.

Suggested Improvements

Possibly the turning radius, but that's it. Nothing else to complain about.

love my avalon
By i love my avalon!

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for a few months and I love it already. It rides beautifully and is very classy. Also this is a very strong and solid car, I was hit by a large pickup truck and there was minimal damage. I have a lot of faith in this car. I am very glad I bought it.

Favorite Features

I love the size of this car, it is big and safe. I also love the engine, smooth and powerful.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of anything! I love my car just the way it is!

Its awesome !! I LOVE my car
By ilovesai

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Its very funny that before buying this car I did not hear of it !! I wanted something midsize and the delear showed me Avalon XLS. I test run it and i fell in love.It was big though for me but than when I got it home and started drivining it its like dream come true.Its the most amazing car I've ever driven. I really feel lucky to have this car as when I went out to buy I did not have this car in my mind..All my friends love it and I really really am in love with my car. It hit 100K today so I felt like writing about it. If you are considering buying a midsize car plz do check avalon and I bet you would not go anywhere else.

Favorite Features

Everything!! Leather seats, moonroof,stereo...oh, I guess Ilove everything about this car !! Plus a great milage too !

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holder. Cup holders for rear seat. Heated mirrors.

'96 Avalon, nice but boring
By qwalls

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for my wife in '99 with 36k miles. It now has 168k miles. The car was flawless until 150k miles when it needed a new power steering pump and rack to the tune of $1700. It's now my "bad weather" car since my wife got a 2004 Sienna. The car has a lot of room, and is reasonably comfortable. Performance and gas mileage are good for the size. Handling is adequate for the type of car it is, but nothing to get excited about. I tend to prefer Hondas while my wife prefers Toyotas, but both are great cars.

Favorite Features

Interior space, reliability, gas mileage, large trunk, smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

rear cup holders and vents, better handling, more excitement. A large family car doesn't have to be boring.