1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Great Car
By r4lane on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

One owner but driven by father for 3.5 years and by son forover 4 years. Front brake pads not replaced until over 100,00 miles. Give this car regular oil changes and it will run forever. No mechanical difficulties, great paint job and Plenty of room for 5.

Luxury Toyota
By vinster29 on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I have had my Avalon for 8 years now and it has been a great car to drive. I love the larger interior and big trunk too. The A/c and heater are ten times better at cooling and heating than my Lexus. The ride is excellent and the engine is awesome. The paint does chip off really easy but overall this car has been the best Toyota that I have ever owned.

After 165000
By DanielJarrett on 11/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I purchased the vehicle used at 60k miles. After driving it for another 100k miles, I have not had any repairs to make. Many opportunities at routine maintenance (oil, brake pads, tires, timing...). The interior has held up and does not rattle and nor has begun to deteriorate as my previous Buick Le Sabre did at 80k miles (could stand driving it any longer). The words I would used to describe this vehicle is reliable and competent. It does not stand out in any automotive driving category, but simply does all well. The vehicle will also hold three full size car seats in the rear.

100000 miles and running
By Toolofsociety on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

The first striking thing about the toyota avalon is the spacious interior. It has a lot of room for both the back seats and the front.The car is somewhat lacking in the design in the interior, however. It is somewhat dull and not extraordinarly exciting. This is compensated for by the engine. The very same engine of the Lexus E 300 and even after 100,000 miles on mine it still runs absolutely perfectly. The car is by far the smoothest car I've ridden in. And if you want a good, reliable, smooth and classic car, look into the Toyota Avalon. Its really worth it. I mean, honestly, who goes online to write a review about a car unless they really like it?

Only car I've liked after two years
By Jess of Waco on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I've had a Merecedes roadster, a couple of Volvos, several Buicks, Oldses, and other comfy cars but this '96 Avalon is the best. The suspension has had strut problems, but otherwise, at 122K, it's a fine-running, easy on the body kinda car. And although it has a "Cashmere Beige" stodgy exterior, it has surprising performance and can really scoot when you need it to. If you can find an Avalon at a good price, BUY IT!

King of the Road!
By Avalonie on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

The best buy I've ever made. Car had 65K miles when I purchased in mint condition. Now has 104K, I only had to replace brakes and tires, and new battery- plus routine maint. (oil change) No major repairs. I love driving the car, It makes me feel like I am "successful", I am not kidding it truly is a fantastic ride.

Approaching 200k
By Houston Commuter on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

After having bought the Avalon used in 99 with 40K, I have yet to have a major repair. Recommened maintenance, brakes, tires & time belts yes but no major repairs. Now approaching 200k with this track record ... why would I consider anything else.

Outstanding Car
By Paladin on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

The best car I've ever owned in 40 years of driving. I've spent about 1,000 in repairs over 6 years. Keep the oil changed, and I think it will run forever. Even today, it feels like the day I bought it.

very solid car
By mountiefan on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I am a 21 year old college student and I recieved this car as a hand-me-down from my dad. He purchased the car new in 96 and when I got it last year it had 175,000 miles on it. It now has over 205,000 miles and is still running like new. I have never had any problems and have only preformed routine maintenence. On my last trip I got 30.7 miles to the gallon on the interstate. Thats Morgantown, WV to Ringgold, GA on one tank. I absolutly love this car. I plan on keeping it until it quits on me which could be a very long time. The dealer told me when it hits 250,000 they want me to bring it in for a picture.

Love my Avalon
By Manny Ribeiro on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle as a used demo off the lot with no intentions of buying it in the first place. Shortly after I had finished the test drive, I realize that this was truly the car for me. I am a big man with history or various arthritic pains and let me tell you that this Avalon was extremely easy to get in and out of and the ride was excellent.