Used 1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Comfortable, Reliable and Bland
By AZDave

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

We purchased our Avalon with 13,300 miles on it in August 1996 and sold it in September 2007 at 94,000 miles. My wife wanted a mid-to-large size sedan; this car replaced a 1986 Mercedes 300E. It was not purchased as a "glamor car." We bought the base XL model and added alloy wheels and pinstriping to spruce it up a bit. For 9 of the 11 years we owned it we lived in Southern CA; the last two years we've been in Tucson, AZ. Total cost of maintenance (including 14 tires) was $5,200, about $40/month. Usage was about 80% around town and 20% on the highway. The 192 hp engine proves good (but not blazing) acceleration. Overall a good - but not great - car.

Roomy, comfortable, reliable, decent fuel economy.

More power! Toyota really should offer a V8 on the Avalon, especially since they've made it bigger and heavier.

Solid, comfortable, reliable, bland
By Dave N.

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in August of '96, with 13,300 miles on it. It now has 92,300 miles, so I have driven it 79,000 miles in 10.5 years - an average of 7,500 miles/year. The car has been utterly reliable; I've spent less than $5,000 in maintenance over the years I've owned it, including three sets of tires and an occasional detailing. That works out to less than 7 cents per mile. Most of its mileage has been around town (21 mpg) with a few long road trips (24 mpg). The Avalon is a comfortable car, and handsome in a bland sort of way. It's reasonably peppy, but not a road rocket. Overall, I've been very satisfied with this car and may well buy another Avalon someday.

Styling, roomy interior, comfort, reliability.

More horsepower (has been added on newer Avalons), tighter suspension, better sound system.

Still Like New
By mrosen3030

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car four years ago and it has been nothing but reliable for us. Starts easily even in bitter cold. We haven't had to do anything other than routine maintenance to this car. Smooth ride. Roomy backseat - three kids can fit easily (two with carseats). Nice trunk space. Ride has gotten a bit noisier through the years, but is not unacceptable for a ten year old car. We have about 170K on this right now and will keep it for as long as it will go. Our Camry had 250k on it when we finally sold that (was still running and in great condition), so we have high hopes for the Avalon.

The "power" button when extra power is needed in acceleration, the sun/moonroof.

Wish doors would lock automatically.

Fun to Drive
By NGustafson

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan

The most dependable car I have ever owned. Fun to drive and a beautiful car. I hated to part with it and it made me a Toyota loyal person. I loved the spoiler on the car as well.

The design and size of car was ideal. It drives like a dream. Old faithful is what I call it. A pleaure to own.

The CD player needed improvement. It would get stuck. It has no automatic doorlock which I missed.

Very Reliable!
By DL

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

Great running car. Roomy and very good visibility all around. This Toyota has been the family "work horse" for those everyday short trips to school and shopping. Comfortable, and quiet ride. Good gas mileage all around. I run 87 octane with no problems. Reasonable maintenance cost. Original owner... this is a keeper!

Nice looking car, good lines. Very good trunk space. Looks like a Lexus without paying the higher purchase price.

Better door protection. Door guard design is too low, so getting dings. Slight air leak around the front door passenger window when driving at freeway speeds. No rain coming in though. Heated outside mirrors would be nice.