Used 1996 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

1996 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Excelente
By Carqueen

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Avalon this year and it was 13 years old with 186,000 miles already on it... I just love it... I've had some major repairs but they were no more than 3000 bucks... Which is cheap for a car that is that old with such high mileage... I would recommend this car 100%... I just love my Avey... It's roomy... all my "big" friends can fit in it comfortably and that was a huge concern for me because I'm not small myself... this car is just perfect... but it is a toyota...

Favorite Features

Roomy, comfortable, good horsepower, cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

Better knock sensors, sound system.

"love this car"
By tony harris

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Absolutely superb car, I bought it used with 78000 miles, now it has 117000, only had to perform routine maintenance and tires. I have driven every car as I am in the automobile business, this Avalon is by far the best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine and transmission, room comfort, power. Build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of one improvement.

Wonderful
By Witalis

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car when it was standing in a lot for 2 years according to the owner. I don't know why he didn't use it. I bought it with 197K miles on it. It runs smooth, has power, is very comfy and all the electronics work. The radio was replaced a few years ago. The only things I have to fix are a flex pipe and the inner tie rod end, due to wear. Amazing that these are the only things that need replacing. Great mileage I filled up once for $20 on premium and the needle moved a little with the 40 miles I made so far.

Favorite Features

MPG, roomy (hate small cars, used to SUV), power.

Suggested Improvements

Leaky trunk, tiny bit of water entering left side tool compartment. Mirrors should fold (for the city).

My wifes Avalon,
By kcnaz

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

So far I have replaced the driver side window regulator and the alternator. We went in last week thinking of getting a new car, the dealer offered 500.00 as trade, we decided to keep it. This car surprises me every time I drive it, what a great car, model and year for the Avalon. It will outlast my wife and me.

Favorite Features

The room in the car is outstanding, loads of it. The engine is a screamer, you want to get on the freeway... press the pedal.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Better than a minivan
By Ann

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as 2nd owner with only 55K miles on it to haul three kids (in carseats) in the back. I bought this after having to replace an engine in a GMC Suburban. Wanted something easy on the mind and on the wallet. The trunk is huge!! Motor/transmission is butter-smooth. Quiet ride. Corners better than Mom's Lexus ES 300. Did have to replace rack and pinion. Otherwise, extremely reliable. Interior parts are solid. Wood grain is peeling though but for a 11 yr car, I can't complain too much. Gas mileage is fabulous (much better than minivans). Took it on a 2200 mile trip and averaged 28 mpg highway.

Favorite Features

Easy to read dash. Nice comfortable leather seats. Spacious back seat. Smooth ride/smooth transmission. Don't have to stop by gas station too often! Still has that luxury car feel and no sqeaks or rattles even after 11 yrs.

Suggested Improvements

Improve paint quality. Need cupholders in the back - would reduce spillage from the kids.