Used 1996 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
review
By zazmau on 06/21/05 17:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought it from a dealer with 1800 miles on it. In the shop for a rack and pinnion (?) and an oil leak and two windows stopped working. Both times $1000.+. Routine maintenance other than that. Not bad for over 200,000 miles in nine years. Always starts right up. Currently getting 30mpg hwy, 27mpg normal driving. Cup holders work fine for me. I only use the back seat for stuff. Wood grain areas sun damaged and peeled off. I am 5'3" with short legs so the seat length is too long for me and hits in the calf of the legs.I use a back cushion to keep me forward in the seat. Mechanic says the oxygen sensor needs replaced and I would get better mpg. How much better can it get? I will get 300,000 miles out of it.

Excellent Workhorse
By tOMfOOL on 06/15/05 22:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

While this car would not be considered a "workhorse" like a truck or whatever, it is a fantastic car for a salesman who has to cover a huge territory in all weather and have a car that looks good. Even though the car now looks somewhat outdated, it has kept its snazzy appearance quite well -- especially as compared to some of the Pontiacs and Fords I've seen. The car has 125,000 miles on it and EVERYTHING still works as well as it did when it was new: windows, doors, sunroof, cupholder and yes, the TAPE PLAYER and CD. I'm truly amazed at how many other cars I've seen (like my friend's Malibu) that never made it past the first 5 years. My Avalon still feels like a new BMW -- no joke!

love my avalon
By i love my avalon! on 05/19/05 21:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for a few months and I love it already. It rides beautifully and is very classy. Also this is a very strong and solid car, I was hit by a large pickup truck and there was minimal damage. I have a lot of faith in this car. I am very glad I bought it.

Its awesome !! I LOVE my car
By ilovesai on 11/15/04 15:18 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Its very funny that before buying this car I did not hear of it !! I wanted something midsize and the delear showed me Avalon XLS. I test run it and i fell in love.It was big though for me but than when I got it home and started drivining it its like dream come true.Its the most amazing car I've ever driven. I really feel lucky to have this car as when I went out to buy I did not have this car in my mind..All my friends love it and I really really am in love with my car. It hit 100K today so I felt like writing about it. If you are considering buying a midsize car plz do check avalon and I bet you would not go anywhere else.

'96 Avalon, nice but boring
By qwalls on 11/13/04 21:42 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for my wife in '99 with 36k miles. It now has 168k miles. The car was flawless until 150k miles when it needed a new power steering pump and rack to the tune of $1700. It's now my "bad weather" car since my wife got a 2004 Sienna. The car has a lot of room, and is reasonably comfortable. Performance and gas mileage are good for the size. Handling is adequate for the type of car it is, but nothing to get excited about. I tend to prefer Hondas while my wife prefers Toyotas, but both are great cars.

Wife Loves Car
By lee harvey on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This 1996 Toyota Avalon has been an excellent vehicle. Bought it new in '96 and have had no problems with the car except those inflicted by the Toyota dealer service dept. Leather seats/ergonomics are very comfortable, can drive for 10 hours without getting stiff. Car is very peppy and enjoyable to drive. Want to buy another one when this one wears out, but it only has 160,000 miles and seems to have plenty of life left. This car had the same battery and brakes for the first 120,000 miles. All other parts still original other than required maint. like timing belt. The paint and interior have held up like a much more expensive car.

Great Buy!
By Morris Mandy on 07/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

This Avalon is the best car I have ever owned between my old Ford Taurus and my old, Honda Accord. Tgis car handles great is very comfortable and takes the bumps better then any casr I have ever seen.

Wish it would die....
By BillSki on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Always wanted a quiet, reliable car. This one has been a keeper, owned new since 96. Up to 155K miles, no major problems. Go thru tires about 50-60k, 1st battery replaced in 2004! Struts have been making clunking noises for a few years, but not a safety issue. Side windows get a bit noisy, especially when I have to put ski racks on - they will leak, thanks to the aero door design. Tend to break the auto retract antenna a lot. dunno why. Bought car after a 2-door SAAB 900S. Miss the Euro handling and heated seats in NE USA. Been super-reliable. No real complaints, I wish it would die; after eight years I'm getting a bit bored and d

Love my Avalon!!
By PeggyC on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I have owned Mercedes, Volvos, and BMW's. I bought this car used(24,000 miles) from a dealership. It is a certified car by toyota. This car has never been to the shop. I keep the oil changed and do the routine maintenence. The roomie interior is great--5 adults fit-no problem. It has been the best car i have ever owned!

Avalon--Better by a Mile!
By Dave and Karin on 06/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Bought used and by far the best car we have EVER owned with a driving history of 30+ years! I would recommend this year to anyone, and plan to buy another if need be. Toyota really messed up when they built this car-- it's too good! Superb power, agility, ride, roominess. No problems mechanically other than normal wear.