Used 1996 Toyota Avalon XL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

My first car!
By tineshaa

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

When I was a sophomore in high school I saved up $2200 and bought this car. When I bought it the dealership told me that the struts needed replaced. I had the car for 3 years. In that time, I replaced the struts, bushings, sway bar, had two brake jobs and bought 3 used tires to replace the ones it had. I pay for any luxuries in my life (this was a luxury to me) so I always bought the cheapest parts/labor. This may be why I kept having to get work done. I'm now a college sophomore, and 3 weeks ago while drive from school to home (120 miles- 3hrs), I ran off the highway and rolled the car. My car looked horrible but it kept me safe. I came out with one little scratch. Everyone was amazed at it

I ran off the highway and rolled the car, and it kept me perfectly safe. The EMS told me that it has a special cage feature that is there to keep people safe in the event of a roll. It did great. I didn't have any passengers with me, but the car was perfectly sturdy around where passengers would've been sitting (except the front passenger would've had a rolled up windshield in their face). I am so grateful for this car.

The CD setup didn't work for me, and it was inconvenient anyway.

Exceptionally Reliable Car
By honesty_1

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Toyota Avalon was a gift to me in 2002. The car at that time had approximately 60,000 miles. This car has been so reliable that I am still driving it shy of a decade later. I currently have over 307,000 miles and counting. I have had to do a bit of work on the engine (valve gasket covers etc) when the mileage reached around 280,000, but it's running on the same transmission. I liked this car so much until I had shipped from Mississippi to Washington State with 300,000 miles because I trusted its reliability. It hasn't let me down, but it may be in its last years. Can't complain with over 307,000 miles.

The CD disc changer could be better quality

Best car i have ever had
By Norm Atwater

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

This car was on a lease that a friend of mine turned in he bought a new Avalon. It had about 30,000 mi on it and i now have 207,000 and it is still a great car. Have only put on tires, R&l CV joints and new struts. Have done routine maintenance change transmission oil and eng oil every 4,000 and still get almost 30 MPG. I have no intention of buying a new car and would take it on a long trip today. I have had this car in Drive so much the bulb has burned out on the dash

Lots of room back & front

None

302K and Still Going
By Jim

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 1996. It was driven daily over the past 14 years. Only replaced brakes, and normal wear stuff. Just recently replaced transmission with one that had 145k miles. Just replaced both knock sensors to get the engine light off. It has been a great pleasure to drive. Just wondering if I can get it up to 400K miles. Due to the great experience I've had with this vehicle, I'll probably buy another one when this one stops running.

roomy interior, smooth ride, powerful engine

Very dependable
By Rasheedb4

1996 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car when it was 120K miles and it is still riding strong at 199K miles. This car is tough and is GREAT on gas, especially for its size.