Used 1996 Toyota Avalon XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Outperforms Most Newer Cars
By ddbates

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I love my 96 Avalon. I have had it for almost 2 years. In the course of this time it developed a significant oil leak and I thought it would cost an arm and a leg to fix. It was only $225 (including labor) to replace the crank shaft seal and since the timing belt is adjacent to it, that was replaced as well! I have replaced struts, tires, a control arm, a caliper, and have had it regularly maintained. The display lights are going out and the CD player and tape player no longer work but the radio does. It has 198,000 miles on it and is still running splendidly. When it is time for this gem to retire I would really like another Avalon.

Favorite Features

I love the climate control, huge trunk, comfy seats, outside temperature display, the fact that there are no problems with "blind" spots, the roominess, and the leather seats. Most of all I greatly appreciate the reliability of this car.

Suggested Improvements

A car that has this many miles and it and and has withstood the wear and tear that it has does not need any suggested improvements.

Lost my Avalon - buying another
By SadtoLoseMyAvalon

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

In '00, was looking for a Camry and salesman pointed an Avalon out at an amazing price - which made me skeptical. Obviously, it's boxy look devalued the car. But this car is as great a ride as my Infiniti and my cousin's Lexus. So smooth. Never a problem. Such a quiet ride. Greatest steal of a car. Got it with 58k til 134k - never any major problem. And then one day, some old lady nailed my side T-boning it - and was shocked when they said it was 'totaled'. I was so sad. If I had the $$$ would have paid the difference out of my pocket. But buying another - cherish this vehicle. Test drive one - and you'll be hooked.

Favorite Features

Beautiful, spacious, luxurious interior and such a smooth ride, with a very good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

They already changed the body style - so nothing.

Great car
By kevin nguyen

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I love this car now i have 200,500 miles on it and still run like charm . thanks Toyota

Favorite Features

nice and great car

Suggested Improvements

no complaints

Toyota is the Best
By Best, Reliable Car

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the XLS brand new in 96 when I was single. I've since married and had 2 children and today at 189,000 miles my baby is still kickin. I agree with everyone that the maintenance is about $5,000.00 or less because I've spent around $3,000 so far. What I love the most is the reliability to start in 10-20 degree weather and I've never had a breakdown ever. It's roomy enough for the kids to hop in/out of their booster seats and at 5'2" I can adjust the seat forward or up/down to match my body length. I also love the lumbar that adjust nicely. The only thing I miss is a CD player because it was not that big in 96 but I have a personal CD player that kicks when I connect it to my car stereo.

Favorite Features

Seat adjustments Lumbar support Smooth ride Color/body style

Suggested Improvements

I wish the stereo system was a bit more powerful but I hear the ones in the newer models are.

"love this car"
By tony harris

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Absolutely superb car, I bought it used with 78000 miles, now it has 117000, only had to perform routine maintenance and tires. I have driven every car as I am in the automobile business, this Avalon is by far the best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Smooth engine and transmission, room comfort, power. Build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of one improvement.