1996 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Lost my Avalon - buying another
By SadtoLoseMyAvalon on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

In '00, was looking for a Camry and salesman pointed an Avalon out at an amazing price - which made me skeptical. Obviously, it's boxy look devalued the car. But this car is as great a ride as my Infiniti and my cousin's Lexus. So smooth. Never a problem. Such a quiet ride. Greatest steal of a car. Got it with 58k til 134k - never any major problem. And then one day, some old lady nailed my side T-boning it - and was shocked when they said it was 'totaled'. I was so sad. If I had the $$$ would have paid the difference out of my pocket. But buying another - cherish this vehicle. Test drive one - and you'll be hooked.

Great car
By kevin nguyen on 04/20/10 09:50 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I love this car now i have 200,500 miles on it and still run like charm . thanks Toyota

Toyota is the Best
By Best, Reliable Car on 12/09/09 07:22 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the XLS brand new in 96 when I was single. I've since married and had 2 children and today at 189,000 miles my baby is still kickin. I agree with everyone that the maintenance is about $5,000.00 or less because I've spent around $3,000 so far. What I love the most is the reliability to start in 10-20 degree weather and I've never had a breakdown ever. It's roomy enough for the kids to hop in/out of their booster seats and at 5'2" I can adjust the seat forward or up/down to match my body length. I also love the lumbar that adjust nicely. The only thing I miss is a CD player because it was not that big in 96 but I have a personal CD player that kicks when I connect it to my car stereo.

"love this car"
By tony harris on 05/12/09 11:23 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Absolutely superb car, I bought it used with 78000 miles, now it has 117000, only had to perform routine maintenance and tires. I have driven every car as I am in the automobile business, this Avalon is by far the best car I have ever owned.

Wonderful
By Witalis on 09/08/08 17:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car when it was standing in a lot for 2 years according to the owner. I don't know why he didn't use it. I bought it with 197K miles on it. It runs smooth, has power, is very comfy and all the electronics work. The radio was replaced a few years ago. The only things I have to fix are a flex pipe and the inner tie rod end, due to wear. Amazing that these are the only things that need replacing. Great mileage I filled up once for $20 on premium and the needle moved a little with the 40 miles I made so far.

My wifes Avalon,
By kcnaz on 08/08/08 06:32 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

So far I have replaced the driver side window regulator and the alternator. We went in last week thinking of getting a new car, the dealer offered 500.00 as trade, we decided to keep it. This car surprises me every time I drive it, what a great car, model and year for the Avalon. It will outlast my wife and me.

Better than a minivan
By Ann on 10/23/07 01:39 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as 2nd owner with only 55K miles on it to haul three kids (in carseats) in the back. I bought this after having to replace an engine in a GMC Suburban. Wanted something easy on the mind and on the wallet. The trunk is huge!! Motor/transmission is butter-smooth. Quiet ride. Corners better than Mom's Lexus ES 300. Did have to replace rack and pinion. Otherwise, extremely reliable. Interior parts are solid. Wood grain is peeling though but for a 11 yr car, I can't complain too much. Gas mileage is fabulous (much better than minivans). Took it on a 2200 mile trip and averaged 28 mpg highway.

Still Like New
By mrosen3030 on 03/18/06 12:29 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

We bought this car four years ago and it has been nothing but reliable for us. Starts easily even in bitter cold. We haven't had to do anything other than routine maintenance to this car. Smooth ride. Roomy backseat - three kids can fit easily (two with carseats). Nice trunk space. Ride has gotten a bit noisier through the years, but is not unacceptable for a ten year old car. We have about 170K on this right now and will keep it for as long as it will go. Our Camry had 250k on it when we finally sold that (was still running and in great condition), so we have high hopes for the Avalon.

Fun to Drive
By NGustafson on 02/28/06 09:39 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

The most dependable car I have ever owned. Fun to drive and a beautiful car. I hated to part with it and it made me a Toyota loyal person. I loved the spoiler on the car as well.

review
By zazmau on 06/21/05 17:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

Bought it from a dealer with 1800 miles on it. In the shop for a rack and pinnion (?) and an oil leak and two windows stopped working. Both times $1000.+. Routine maintenance other than that. Not bad for over 200,000 miles in nine years. Always starts right up. Currently getting 30mpg hwy, 27mpg normal driving. Cup holders work fine for me. I only use the back seat for stuff. Wood grain areas sun damaged and peeled off. I am 5'3" with short legs so the seat length is too long for me and hits in the calf of the legs.I use a back cushion to keep me forward in the seat. Mechanic says the oxygen sensor needs replaced and I would get better mpg. How much better can it get? I will get 300,000 miles out of it.