1996 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
My first car!
By tineshaa on 06/20/12 16:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

When I was a sophomore in high school I saved up $2200 and bought this car. When I bought it the dealership told me that the struts needed replaced. I had the car for 3 years. In that time, I replaced the struts, bushings, sway bar, had two brake jobs and bought 3 used tires to replace the ones it had. I pay for any luxuries in my life (this was a luxury to me) so I always bought the cheapest parts/labor. This may be why I kept having to get work done. I'm now a college sophomore, and 3 weeks ago while drive from school to home (120 miles- 3hrs), I ran off the highway and rolled the car. My car looked horrible but it kept me safe. I came out with one little scratch. Everyone was amazed at it

Exceptionally Reliable Car
By honesty_1 on 08/28/11 23:27 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Toyota Avalon was a gift to me in 2002. The car at that time had approximately 60,000 miles. This car has been so reliable that I am still driving it shy of a decade later. I currently have over 307,000 miles and counting. I have had to do a bit of work on the engine (valve gasket covers etc) when the mileage reached around 280,000, but it's running on the same transmission. I liked this car so much until I had shipped from Mississippi to Washington State with 300,000 miles because I trusted its reliability. It hasn't let me down, but it may be in its last years. Can't complain with over 307,000 miles.

Best car i have ever had
By Norm Atwater on 07/22/10 14:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This car was on a lease that a friend of mine turned in he bought a new Avalon. It had about 30,000 mi on it and i now have 207,000 and it is still a great car. Have only put on tires, R&l CV joints and new struts. Have done routine maintenance change transmission oil and eng oil every 4,000 and still get almost 30 MPG. I have no intention of buying a new car and would take it on a long trip today. I have had this car in Drive so much the bulb has burned out on the dash

302K and Still Going
By Jim on 07/04/10 05:38 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 1996. It was driven daily over the past 14 years. Only replaced brakes, and normal wear stuff. Just recently replaced transmission with one that had 145k miles. Just replaced both knock sensors to get the engine light off. It has been a great pleasure to drive. Just wondering if I can get it up to 400K miles. Due to the great experience I've had with this vehicle, I'll probably buy another one when this one stops running.

Very dependable
By Rasheedb4 on 03/25/10 13:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car when it was 120K miles and it is still riding strong at 199K miles. This car is tough and is GREAT on gas, especially for its size.

Very Reliable & comfortable
By love toyota on 03/13/10 08:16 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car with 143k miles, it's been a great family car. It's never let us down. Car fits 3 upfront if you need too with plenty of room upfront & in the back. Very smooth ride!

Excelente
By Carqueen on 10/23/09 10:41 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Avalon this year and it was 13 years old with 186,000 miles already on it... I just love it... I've had some major repairs but they were no more than 3000 bucks... Which is cheap for a car that is that old with such high mileage... I would recommend this car 100%... I just love my Avey... It's roomy... all my "big" friends can fit in it comfortably and that was a huge concern for me because I'm not small myself... this car is just perfect... but it is a toyota...

Comfortable, Reliable and Bland
By AZDave on 09/15/07 13:20 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

We purchased our Avalon with 13,300 miles on it in August 1996 and sold it in September 2007 at 94,000 miles. My wife wanted a mid-to-large size sedan; this car replaced a 1986 Mercedes 300E. It was not purchased as a "glamor car." We bought the base XL model and added alloy wheels and pinstriping to spruce it up a bit. For 9 of the 11 years we owned it we lived in Southern CA; the last two years we've been in Tucson, AZ. Total cost of maintenance (including 14 tires) was $5,200, about $40/month. Usage was about 80% around town and 20% on the highway. The 192 hp engine proves good (but not blazing) acceleration. Overall a good - but not great - car.

Solid, comfortable, reliable, bland
By Dave N. on 03/20/07 12:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in August of '96, with 13,300 miles on it. It now has 92,300 miles, so I have driven it 79,000 miles in 10.5 years - an average of 7,500 miles/year. The car has been utterly reliable; I've spent less than $5,000 in maintenance over the years I've owned it, including three sets of tires and an occasional detailing. That works out to less than 7 cents per mile. Most of its mileage has been around town (21 mpg) with a few long road trips (24 mpg). The Avalon is a comfortable car, and handsome in a bland sort of way. It's reasonably peppy, but not a road rocket. Overall, I've been very satisfied with this car and may well buy another Avalon someday.

Very Reliable!
By DL on 09/30/05 16:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Great running car. Roomy and very good visibility all around. This Toyota has been the family "work horse" for those everyday short trips to school and shopping. Comfortable, and quiet ride. Good gas mileage all around. I run 87 octane with no problems. Reasonable maintenance cost. Original owner... this is a keeper!