Used 1996 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Outperforms Most Newer Cars
By ddbates on 04/20/15 21:27 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I love my 96 Avalon. I have had it for almost 2 years. In the course of this time it developed a significant oil leak and I thought it would cost an arm and a leg to fix. It was only $225 (including labor) to replace the crank shaft seal and since the timing belt is adjacent to it, that was replaced as well! I have replaced struts, tires, a control arm, a caliper, and have had it regularly maintained. The display lights are going out and the CD player and tape player no longer work but the radio does. It has 198,000 miles on it and is still running splendidly. When it is time for this gem to retire I would really like another Avalon.

My first car!
By tineshaa on 06/20/12 16:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

When I was a sophomore in high school I saved up $2200 and bought this car. When I bought it the dealership told me that the struts needed replaced. I had the car for 3 years. In that time, I replaced the struts, bushings, sway bar, had two brake jobs and bought 3 used tires to replace the ones it had. I pay for any luxuries in my life (this was a luxury to me) so I always bought the cheapest parts/labor. This may be why I kept having to get work done. I'm now a college sophomore, and 3 weeks ago while drive from school to home (120 miles- 3hrs), I ran off the highway and rolled the car. My car looked horrible but it kept me safe. I came out with one little scratch. Everyone was amazed at it

Exceptionally Reliable Car
By honesty_1 on 08/28/11 23:27 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

My 1996 Toyota Avalon was a gift to me in 2002. The car at that time had approximately 60,000 miles. This car has been so reliable that I am still driving it shy of a decade later. I currently have over 307,000 miles and counting. I have had to do a bit of work on the engine (valve gasket covers etc) when the mileage reached around 280,000, but it's running on the same transmission. I liked this car so much until I had shipped from Mississippi to Washington State with 300,000 miles because I trusted its reliability. It hasn't let me down, but it may be in its last years. Can't complain with over 307,000 miles.

Lost my Avalon - buying another
By SadtoLoseMyAvalon on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

In '00, was looking for a Camry and salesman pointed an Avalon out at an amazing price - which made me skeptical. Obviously, it's boxy look devalued the car. But this car is as great a ride as my Infiniti and my cousin's Lexus. So smooth. Never a problem. Such a quiet ride. Greatest steal of a car. Got it with 58k til 134k - never any major problem. And then one day, some old lady nailed my side T-boning it - and was shocked when they said it was 'totaled'. I was so sad. If I had the $$$ would have paid the difference out of my pocket. But buying another - cherish this vehicle. Test drive one - and you'll be hooked.

Best car i have ever had
By Norm Atwater on 07/22/10 14:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

This car was on a lease that a friend of mine turned in he bought a new Avalon. It had about 30,000 mi on it and i now have 207,000 and it is still a great car. Have only put on tires, R&l CV joints and new struts. Have done routine maintenance change transmission oil and eng oil every 4,000 and still get almost 30 MPG. I have no intention of buying a new car and would take it on a long trip today. I have had this car in Drive so much the bulb has burned out on the dash

302K and Still Going
By Jim on 07/04/10 05:38 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 1996. It was driven daily over the past 14 years. Only replaced brakes, and normal wear stuff. Just recently replaced transmission with one that had 145k miles. Just replaced both knock sensors to get the engine light off. It has been a great pleasure to drive. Just wondering if I can get it up to 400K miles. Due to the great experience I've had with this vehicle, I'll probably buy another one when this one stops running.

Great car
By kevin nguyen on 04/20/10 09:50 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I love this car now i have 200,500 miles on it and still run like charm . thanks Toyota

Very dependable
By Rasheedb4 on 03/25/10 13:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car when it was 120K miles and it is still riding strong at 199K miles. This car is tough and is GREAT on gas, especially for its size.

Very Reliable & comfortable
By love toyota on 03/13/10 08:16 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car with 143k miles, it's been a great family car. It's never let us down. Car fits 3 upfront if you need too with plenty of room upfront & in the back. Very smooth ride!

Toyota is the Best
By Best, Reliable Car on 12/09/09 07:22 AM (PST)

1996 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan

I bought the XLS brand new in 96 when I was single. I've since married and had 2 children and today at 189,000 miles my baby is still kickin. I agree with everyone that the maintenance is about $5,000.00 or less because I've spent around $3,000 so far. What I love the most is the reliability to start in 10-20 degree weather and I've never had a breakdown ever. It's roomy enough for the kids to hop in/out of their booster seats and at 5'2" I can adjust the seat forward or up/down to match my body length. I also love the lumbar that adjust nicely. The only thing I miss is a CD player because it was not that big in 96 but I have a personal CD player that kicks when I connect it to my car stereo.

1 2 3 4 5 next »